invalid argument (22)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
dermot shane

invalid argument (22)

Post by dermot shane »

i have a note from a theatre saying they cannot injest a DCP i've made, their Doremi server is throwing up a "invalid argument (22)" error

this dcp has already ran in theatres around the world trouble free, so i'm thinking it may be a physical drive issue as it's been shipped literaly around the globe several times by now, although well protected in a peli case

the fillmmaker is sending a backup drive now, but if this can be sorted faster, that would be better..

any idea what "invalid argument (22)" is, i've tried searching for "Doremi invalid argument (22)", but my googlefu is not strong enough

thanks in advance

dermot shane
Vancouver, Canada
Carsten

Re: invalid argument (22)

Post by Carsten »

I haver never seen an error like that on a Doremi. A Doremi usually shows some progress during ingest. Sometimes hints, sometimes an error. I never came across that one. I assume that error comes up during ingest, not during playout? You hardly ever get anything on a Doremi during playout.

That much is sure, 'invalid argument(22)' is not something that can be immediately traced back to a DCP issue. It's more a generic system type error.

Yes, a drive issue is possible. Are you sure this feature ingested successfully before on other Doremis?

- Carsten
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

linux error invalid argument (22) is a drive partition error, pointing me towards thinking it's a damaged drive in play
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Do you know for sure how this drive was partitioned and formatted? In general, Doremis are not picky. Of course, something may have happened to the drive at some point during it's travels.

- Carsten
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

i created three drives, so could be either NTFS or EXt2/inode 128 created in Paragon under windoze, and they may have cloned the NTFS drive themselves

i handed off the masters last spring, no idea what drive it was, i do not know what was sent, and the producer is not reachable this weekend to ask, out of mobile phone range

it runs on Monday....

Herzlichen Dank!
dermot shane

Post by dermot shane »

the drive is EXfat, so not a drive i created
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Exfat appears convenient to many users (native read and write support in WIN and Mac OS ) , and some drives come preformatted as exfat nowadays, but, there is only a single (now deprecated) server that actually reads exfat. Some people may also confuse exfat with ext2/3.
So, whoever created that specific drive, is to blame.

- Carsten