KDM Error on DCP2000

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mwm1166

Re: KDM Error on DCP2000

Post by mwm1166 »

I'm attaching the requested files. I exported them individually and as a chain. I zipped all 4 together. Let me know.
Attachments
certs.zip
(8 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

These certs are valid from April 10th, and your KDMs validity window starts at April 10th as well. I remember we had a similar issue a while ago with some KDMs for Dolby servers. I guess the trouble is if you have created the certs/installed DCP-o-matic on the same day as you create your first KDM, then cert validity start and KDM validity start do not comply. Don't know wether they begin at 00:00 on the day, or if timezone etc. comes into play.

I remember that Carl had a bug entry on this, but don't know wether it has been resolved already. It could be as simple as creating a new KDM NOW, with a validity window starting today. Can you try that?

I don't know if it's a silly idea, but maybe DCP-o-matic should create it's certs always with the validity start a day back from the current date. Or find a another way to create KDMs/DCPs only well within the time frame of the actual certs in use. That could be limiting for some last minute applications, though.

If what I write here is true, then a simple workaround would be to set your computer clock back one or two days, recreate the signing certs, exit DCP-o-matic, reset the clock to current date, then create your first KDM. That would simply simulate that your initial DCP-o-matic installation or cert generation took place one or two days earlier than it actually happened. In general, DCP-o-matic has no reason to not create the certs with the current date as the start of the validity time window.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwm1166

Post by mwm1166 »

fascinating. I will try one or two things and see what happens.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

There's this bug to help with cases like this.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

To complement this - Dolby servers using a CAT745 media block without NTP sync (many small cinemas without TMS) typically suffer from huge clock drifts. Easily in the range of multiple days if not continuously corrected. So, it's pretty easy to 'drop back' or forth one day.

- Carsten
kcsim99

Post by kcsim99 »

Hi, just wanted to point out that this bug is still present in 2.14.15 version of KDM Creator. I’ve created some KDMs which are outside the validity of the timeframe of the signing DKDM and the servers at the cinemas are throwing out the same errors.

After I increase the validity of the signing certificate, the error went away. I think one way to fix this issue is for KDM creator warn that the issued KDMs are outside the validity period of the signing certificate.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It's a different bug, or, issue. But it certainly is a good idea to address it as well.