Read error

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
higginm6

Read error

Post by higginm6 »

Hi,
Great software. Never had problems.

However.

I made a successful DCP onto the internal drive. It opens, plays, verifies etc. All is good.

Succesfully copied to an Extfs 2/3 drive. Opening the DCP is unnsuccesful. I'm getting an error message relating to the pcm...mxf (audio I'm guessing). It says there's trouble handling the pcm file, error -101

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

2K, 5.1, 24fps DCP
Using Mac Sierra, Paragon extfs
carl
Site Admin

Re: Read error

Post by carl »

-101 is a vague "something is wrong" error; though it could be something to do with Paragon.

Can you run the DCP-o-matic player's "verify" function over the copy on the Ext2 drive?
higginm6

Post by higginm6 »

Thanks for the swift reply.
The DCP won't load up in order to attempt to verify.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Oh right, yes :\

How do you feel about the terminal? Would you like to run some tests through it? Just to see if the files in the Ext2 copy are the same as the ones in the original?
higginm6

Post by higginm6 »

Sure! Thanks.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK if you can open terminal, then change directory to the DCP you made on the internal drive, something like

Code: Select all

cd /Users/carl/my_dcps/DOM_PROJECT/BigLongName_FTR-1-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH
(remember you can type part of the name and press "tab" to finish it off)

then find the hashes of the files in there

shasum *
you should get a bunch of alphanumeric strings with filenames (it may take a while as it has to read the files). Then do the same for your Paragon copy

cd /Volumes/my_external_drive/BigLongName_FTR-1-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH
shasum *
and see what you get. The alphanumeric strings should be the same; if not, something has gone wrong with the copy (or the reading back of the copy). Copy and paste the output you see here, if you like.
higginm6

Post by higginm6 »

Thanks for that.
It's currently busy doing it's thing.

Just prior to this I tried using Hedge copy software. It spat out a transfer log with the numbers and all were verified and correct. So based on Hedge it seems it's identical.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, well let's see what shasum says. If it comes back as them being the same it points to some failure of DCP-o-matic to read the files correctly when they are on a Paragon volume. I've long suspected there's a problem here but never been able to get to the bottom of it... maybe this time!
higginm6

Post by higginm6 »

Done.

It appears that the copied 'pcm...mxf' file has a different sum number! It's not the same file.

Am I correct in thinking this is a Paragon issue? That would probably be resolved through re-formatting or something of the sort?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, yes that's bad news. It's either a failure of the write (so the file on the Ext2 drive is wrong) or the read (so the file on the drive is right but you can't tell).

It's hard to be sure but I would say that's a Paragon bug; even if there is a problem with your drive I would expect to be warned somehow if files have been corrupted. Maybe you can ask their technical support? You could also try a re-format, though it's possible that would destroy evidence which might help Paragon fix the problem.