Running DOM on M1 Mac?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
VictorWard

Running DOM on M1 Mac?

Post by VictorWard »

I'm eyeing up the new M1 Macbook Pro having spilt a cup of coffee over my XPS 15 and I'm just wondering whether there are any compatibility issues or any other concerns I should be aware of? Obviously one can't currently run Linux on Silicon but I have a spare PC with virtualbox so transferring a DCP to a drive shouldn't be a problem.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Running DOM on M1 Mac?

Post by carl »

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, personally... at the moment you would have to run under Rosetta, I think. I haven't looked at building for ARM yet, and I don't have an ARM Mac to test with (yet, though it looks like I may have to get one).

Others may have tried it and be able to offer their experiences!
yossarian82

Post by yossarian82 »

I'm really super interested in a benchmark with the new M1 macs. Looking forward for any feedback!
Best
pclarici

Post by pclarici »

Not a priority by any means, but could it be useful to add a standard benchmark mode of some kind?
I was wondering this because I too would like to hear from M1 users, but asking on Mac forums or Reddit is out of the question because creating a DCP is not for everyone. Bust just as the average user can run Cinebench and obtain a result without knowing anything about 3D modeling and rendering, maybe the same could work for DCP-o-matic: of course, only if this not too time consuming and can help promote it somehow.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

https://dcpomatic.com/benchmarks/

Or do you mean a standalone benchmark application? Possibly integrated into the main DCP-o-matic app?

- Carsten
pclarici

Post by pclarici »

Exactly, an automated benchmark option with standard settings integrated in the main UI.
I was imagining something like a wizard, allowing to download a reference file such as Big Buck Bunny, run the encode and get a result, maybe even upload it to a public database. A standalone application would be more user friendly, but I'm assuming it's probably not worth the time needed to create and maintain it.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

One wouldn't need to download a specific video file - it would be sufficient if the app contains a standard single image of appropriate complexity.
It wouldn't need to be a real media encoding, just an internal J2K run for now. The interesting aspect of this could be that, using results, DCP-o-matic could adjust or suggest best settings for thread numbers, local/remote encoding, memory, etc.
Because it IS possible to have settings that perform much worse than others, especially when doing 4k and network encoding.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I like the benchmarking ideas, thanks! I added a feature request to the tracker.

It looks like I can build for M1 using my x86 Catalina system (though it will mean yet another set of macOS download links which will only work on Big Sur, I think). It remains to be seen how to test it; the current options seem to be

- buy a M1 mac mini
- wait until some cloud provider offers them and test on that
- hope that some DoM user gets a mac and is willing to do some testing :)
alex.shultz

Post by alex.shultz »

I'm running it on an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 MacBook Air. Both work without any problems. I have not tried the Key app yet but the others work fine.
yossarian82

Post by yossarian82 »

alex.shultz wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 am I'm running it on an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 MacBook Air. Both work without any problems. I have not tried the Key app yet but the others work fine.
Could you give us some numbers? Like source and destination details and fps?
Thanks!