Playing C (2048x1080) content on player

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Playing C (2048x1080) content on player

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

0n 2.14.47 (latest) but also on 2.14.38, where I first found out, I see that when I load a Full-chip DCP, I get it letterboxed.
Does that mean that C content is shown on Flat?
I first noticed a window boxed falsely made C-178. But then, I loaded a test pattern and I had the same result.
Was that always like that? (Is it by design, or just a missed detail?)
Are we to expect a remedy in the near future?
PlayerForC.jpg
PlayerForC.jpg (140.95 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Carsten

Re: Playing C (2048x1080) content on player

Post by Carsten »

It indeed appears as if the playback frame aspect ratio in player is either flat or scope. I just tested it and I see the same. I never bothered to see this in player. Most of the time I work on my notebook or on a 1080p display, so I always expect some amount of scaling or letter/pillarboxing. As long as I see everything that's in the DCP, I don't care for the border in the player. Why does it bother you?

YUP - I just tried with a 16:9 container - I get pillar boxes in the player.

Maybe that is actually intentional? It would simulate how the content is displayed on an actual flat or scope shaped screen. At least for standard content.

But in general, I guess the playback window aspect ratio should always be the container aspect ratio.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

As long as I see everything that's in the DCP, I don't care for the border in the player. Why does it bother you?
Well, I wouldn't choose "bother" to explain what the disadvantage is in this case for me. I will spare you the semantics :-P

So, the disadvantage is that when a picture that in a specific container looks letterboxed when in fact it isn't, I am forced to deduct that in the specific case that happens due to the unavailability of that container on the player, and not due to an -indeed- letterboxed picture. And if I fail to do so, a misconception is created. As long as there are full container DCPs out there (a fact to which, if they are not test patterns, I am against), their misrepresentation on the player might lead to misunderstandings.

If it's something that is considered already and is deemed unimportant, I can definitely live with that. I wouldn't ever classify DCP-o-matic Player as bothersome. :-)
If not, maybe the remedy is simple enough...
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I would think that Carl never thought about C content in the player so far. I admit I mostly check my own DCPs, and so know what is in them. External DCPs, yes, it would probably be useful to see actual letter- or pillarboxing clearly. As far as I know, there is no bug report for this yet. I would think it is rather easy to solve.