2.16.0 alpha 6 - Reels ProRes export messes with time code

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IoannisSyrogiannis

2.16.0 alpha 6 - Reels ProRes export messes with time code

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

I tried to firstly export a DCP to ProRes as reels, in order to try to reconstruct it.
After finding out that I couldn't, if I didn't first choose on the DCP tab the "Reels: Split by video content", even though I was checking "Write reels into separate files" on the "Export video file" dialog, that was unusual (maybe a warning there?), I went forward and exported the files.
The only difference from the originals was that I went from 4K to 2K flat. The original DCP reels have headers and footers, but I seriously doubt that it matters at all.

When tried to put the reels back in order [one of the reels failed many times with the error: ERROR: Butler died with Butler died (Programming error at ../src/lib/butler.cc:153 Butler audio buffers reached 37126016 frames at 60272000 (video is 0))], I found out that the final duration was about seven hours.
Looking back on the ProRes reels, I saw that the independent durations were acceding unreasonably.
DCP-o-matic_reel_durations.PNG
DCP-o-matic_reel_durations.PNG (8.06 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
It seems like the time code is not corrected while the files are getting split and the duration accumulates accordingly.
carl
Site Admin

Re: 2.16.0 alpha 6 - Reels ProRes export messes with time code

Post by carl »

:shock: I see what you mean - thanks for the report! I made a bug for that.
IoannisSyrogiannis

It seems that this is not an exclusive 2.16 alpha issue.
Today, I tried to export another DCP to mp4, in reels, on 2.14.48 (I didn't have the time to update to the latest).
The resulting mp4 files had the exact same issue.
When checking with MediaInfo, I got the correct duration.
While playing with mpv player, each file started from the time the previous reel was to end. If I tried to go to the beginning, the video would resume from the same time point.
I suppose that the same bug might stand at 2.14.51 (current stable release).
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for checking that. I'll make 2.15.155 (alpha 7) today which should fix this, if you could test it when it's uploaded (in maybe 6 hours or so).
IoannisSyrogiannis

I will try with the same DCP as soon as possible and report here.

Edit:
It seems another bug was squeezed relentlessly.

For some reason, and that probably has to do with my computer, I was unable to "see" properly the reel files until I exited DCP-o-matic.
Until then, the whole folder I used was something like 350KB or the likes.
From that to 148GB is quite a difference.