fread error 22

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Richardfox

fread error 22

Post by Richardfox »

Hi. Anyone knows what "fread error 22" means?

I got that while trying to create a DCP from a Prores 4444 QX file. This is the fist time experiencing dcp creation error using Dcp-o-matic.

Tried again after updating drivers, but still no success. Even downloaded the most recent version, but no cigar.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks.

System:
Windows 10
64 bit
24 GB ram
2 GB dedicated Graphics Card
Intel i7 processor
SSD drive
carl
Site Admin

Re: fread error 22

Post by carl »

The "log" file from the project might be interesting, if you can send it to carl@dcpomatic.com

Where is your project located? Is it on a local hard drive, not OneDrive or something?
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Thanks Carl. I actually unistalled and reinstalled the program, so perhaps I may nor have access to the log. Perhaps I should also ask how do I access the log?

So now I switched to using DPX instead of the Prores, and it took about 4 hours to load and in the end became unresponsive. Been trying since 6:00am and up to now, no success loading. I just unintalled again, but decide to install and try the October 2020 version. Currently trying to load the DPX files.

DPX: 104 minutes
24 fps
Aspect Ratio: Scope
Read and Saving to portable drive.

I think I'm out of options to try.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The log I mean is the file called "log" inside the DCP-o-matic project folder (wherever you created your project when you did File/New).

Is it possible to try on an internal hard drive, rather than a portable, external one?
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Ok understand. Unfortunately, I keep deleting them. I'll try creating the project to the C drive instead if the portable and see what happens. Thanks!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Great thanks. Of course, it should work if you use an external drive, but there have been problems in the past that we've never been able to track down the precise cause of. It would be interesting to hear how things go on your internal.
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Sure, I'll let you know and ensure to save the log this time.

Cheers!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Richard - are you sure you added the DPX sequence using 'Add folder' - and not by using 'Add files'? They give very different results. In general, I would advise against using DPX, since there are so many gamma/range options in DPX. You may be lucky if the application that created these DPX files used parameters that match DCP-o-matic's expectations or auto-detect capabilities. In general, video files are better.

Typically, DCP-o-matic does not benefit from re-installing as other software sometimes does. DCP-o-matic brings everything with it, there are no file dependencies, so, if you experience a problem, very rarely it can be solved by just reinstalling the program. What DOES work sometimes is simply trashing prefs. And of course updates may fix things (or make them worse ;-) )

If you are able to create a small Prores 4444XQ test sequence, you may be able to find out wether your problem is format/codec, or drive related. You should try to load a short test sequence from the local/internal drive and create a DCP from it.
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Hi. Thanks again for responding, I really appreciate it. OK, I did select "add folder", which didn't work, as it analyzed over 3 hours and then become unresponsive. In the past, I made 3 DCPs from DCP-o-Matic using DPX sources, and successfully tested the first one in a cinema on January 20, 2019. Everything was awesome both picture and sound. All DPX were exported from Preniere Pro, albeit this last one using the current version of premiere. That's the only change actually.

I will try the Prores 4444QX again and see if the same issue with the fread error 22 returns. I'm currently on my 3rd try, each being over 3hrs. This time I saved the project to my desktop instead of the portable drive. If this dies not work, I think i may go back and try the 2019 version to see if the same problem occurs.
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Carl, I sent the logs. Unfortunately, the process failed again. I'm now attempting a Prores 422HQ with audio. Hopefully this works or i'm dead in the water. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks again.