Where are the system fonts? gone?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
sup

Re: Where are the system fonts? gone?

Post by sup »

I am sure Liberation sans is what was put into the DCP. It gets rename, but when I open the TTF file on the DCP, I get Liberation Sans, the custom font is 300 kB, the one that gets included is cca 70 kB. This happened to me when I tried to put there either Arial or another custom font, Franklin.

I am putting subtitles as saved by Subtitle Edit as DCP Subtitles. Might there be a problem? Or are you creating on OV instead of VF? Might also be something that is just in the Alphas...
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I have seen the same behaviour with the current Alpha, too, means, my custom font is used but renamed. Did you use multiple different fonts? Maybe if you use multiple subtitle files in one project, you have to assign your custom font to everyone of them. I noticed that when I add two separate subtitle files, I can assign separate font files to each, but, naturally, only one is included with the DCP/reel. Probably the first one.
sup

Post by sup »

No, I added a DCP (OV). It has several VFs, but I have not added those. I added a xml file created with Subtitle Edit, set the font (just one) and created a VF (using the OV as OV). And no matter what font I put, Liberation Sans is always used (and renamed).

This is he head of the xml subtitle file:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<DCSubtitle Version="1.0">
  <SubtitleID>d76bef02-2f90-41d3-823d-7cf7fd75060d</SubtitleID>
  <MovieTitle>ShadowCountry</MovieTitle>
  <ReelNumber>1</ReelNumber>
  <Language>de</Language>
  <LoadFont URI="Franklin.TTF" Id="Franklin" />
  <Font Id="Franklin" Color="FFFFFFFF" Effect="shadow" EffectColor="FF000000" Italic="no" Underlined="no" Script="normal" Size="42">
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You mean you did NOT assign a font explicitly in DCP-o-matic, just within your XML file?

DCP-o-matic always overrides the font given in source subtitle files. Simply because it is not sufficient to reference the font file name, but DCP-o-matic needs to have access to the actual font file (directory path) in order to copy it into the DCP. It does not use installed system fonts automatically.

- Carsten

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 15.57.17.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 15.57.17.png (95.99 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
sup

Post by sup »

No, I DID assign the font explicitely in DOM. See this screenshot: download/file.php?id=725 in this post of mine:
viewtopic.php?p=7575#p7575

I noted it down here just for context in case what is written in the xml file matters. No matter what font I set in DCP-o-Matic, Liberation sans is used. I just now tried with SRT subtitles and the result is the same. I am on Linux - are you on different platform? Maybe that could be different?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I'm on a Mac. Maybe there is a bug in the linux version. You should probably file a bug on Mantis for this.

The DCP will be working and technically correct, but of course it is a bug.
sup

Post by sup »

Bug here: https://dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=2074

Who knows if it is just Linux...
rodoworks

Post by rodoworks »

Hello
I'm actually not able to select a font in the font menu; it's greyed out. Not sure why this happens.
I thought that DOM will use the LiberationSans by default when I do not specify a font.
Normally when I generate an XML from AnnotationEdit I do not tick load font as I usually use Arial.
We test screened one of our restoration projects on a dolby server
and the subtitles looked fine; can't tell what font it was but for sure a non serife style font.
Yesterday we had a special screening in different cinema and the projector showed a weird serife style font with a lot of spacing between the letters.
I figured out that the sub XML in the DCP does not have any font specification. When I look at older DCPs I do see load font LiberationSans in the Xml but I'm pretty sure that I did not specify this back then.
I'm actually a bit puzzled about that.
Any idea on that ?
Many thanks
Best
Roger
rodoworks

Post by rodoworks »

Ok, what I figured out in the meantime is, when I export the XML from AnnotationEdit as SMPTE, then I can choose a font in DOM.
Is this the way it should work ?
But when I export as None (IOP) from AE (what I usually did) and I'm not able to select a font in DOM, I end up with no font description in the DCP ?
rodoworks

Post by rodoworks »

Any word on that ?
I don't understand why I can not choose a font in DOM when I export the subtitle XML as non SMPTE from AnnotationEdit.
Also from what I understand for a SMPTE DCP a subtitle font selection seems to be mandatory. But when I don't set a font in DOM and I don't get an error message while checking it, does this mean that DOM sets a font automatically for SMPTE DCP subtitles ?