Is it possible to combine two different DCPs (with different frame rates) to play back sequentially as a single film?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
VisioSmaragdina

Is it possible to combine two different DCPs (with different frame rates) to play back sequentially as a single film?

Post by VisioSmaragdina »

Hi all,
Bit of a strange scenario, but I hope you can help me. I’m currently working on my sophomore feature film, and I’m editing In two separate timelines for different parts of the project. The majority of the film is in 24fps, academy ratio, while a separate strobe sequence, which will occur in the middle of the film is in 60p at 2.35:1. Will it be possible to combine these sequences together with DCP Combiner, after I have made DCPs of each of them separately first, so they then play sequentially, as if it was one single “film”, with no pause in between? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for making such amazing software—for free, and for this great community!
Hope you can help!
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: Is it possible to combine two different DCPs (with different frame rates) to play back sequentially as a single film

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

In short, no.

A DCP needs to keep its framerate and aspect ratio throughout.
The solution to your problem is probably a playlist, but 60fps need to be made 30fps and you have to figure how Flat to Scope (and back) will be implemented without interruption. You might need to "fit" Scope to Flat or the other way around. Something Wes Anderson is doing often.
If you know whether the screen that it is to play is common-height or common-width (for the two formats) it might help you to make the decision on what to scale into what.
Carsten

Re: Is it possible to combine two different DCPs (with different frame rates) to play back sequentially as a single film

Post by Carsten »

24fps and 60fps is a bad combination. A 30fps DCP could easily be converted into 60fps and then combined.

Putting them into a show playlist next to each other may work, but depending on the server, a gap will be more or less visible. But it is the only option in this case.