DCP Remove Encryption

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Guddu

DCP Remove Encryption

Post by Guddu »

I generated a encrypted DCP using DOM.

Now, one particular cinema is requesting that the DCP be a non-encrypted oen as they don't want to deal with KDMs for being in a remote location, failing internet, lack of resources etc etc.

Can i generate a VF using this same DCP so that they can use the VF without the need of a KDM? Or do i need to generate the DCP from zero?
Carsten

Re: DCP Remove Encryption

Post by Carsten »

It would work with a VF, but it wouldn't make sense, as the VF would need to contain all the unencrypted assets, so, same size as the encrypted OV.

Why don't you deliver a KDM for them WITH the DCP? They can ingest both in one go. The validity window can be set very long, so there is no hassle for them.

There is no mechanism in DCI/DCP to remove unwanted encryption from a DCP's assets by using a VF.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

You could make an unencrypted DCP from your encrypted one without going through the encoding again, just by adding the DCP to a new project, giving it a DKDM made for DCP-o-matic, then making a new DCP.

Right-clicking on the DCP in the content list and choosing "Set project DCP settings from this DCP" (in 2.15.x) helps a bit with that.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Guddu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:46 pm Can i generate a VF using this same DCP so that they can use the VF without the need of a KDM? Or do i need to generate the DCP from zero?
You can name the package VF if you want but this will always have to be new standalone OV. Once you decrypt the existing DCP a new OV will always have to be generated because the other OV is encrypted and you need decryption keys (KDMs) to unlock it. VF is not a decryption key.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Guddu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:46 pm ...they don't want to deal with KDMs for being in a remote location, failing internet, lack of resources etc etc.
All good in the fact that they don't want to deal with KDMs, because it's more complex, but every other excuse is just that.
The only reason that would make sense, if I one has to actually provide the resources the venue doesn't, would be if they didn't use a DCI compliant screening system.