5.1 audio mapping - automatic assignment

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Ryan

5.1 audio mapping - automatic assignment

Post by Ryan »

Hello,

When making 5.1 DCPs with 6 individual mono wav files, I've noticed that sometimes the software automatically assigns each file to the correct channel, but occasionally the software will place the files into multiple channel locations. For example the L channel will be automatically assigned to L and LFE, this is also occurring with the R channel and the surrounds, they are being placed in the correct channel, in a addition to the LFE. This isn't a real issue as I can manually ensure the correct channels are chosen, but I'm curious if you have an understanding of why this would be occuring. I have seen this when making multiple versions of the same film, with only minor adjustments made between versions.

Thanks,
Ryan
carl
Site Admin

Re: 5.1 audio mapping - automatic assignment

Post by carl »

Hi Ryan,
Sounds like a bug - it tries to guess the channel allocation from the filename. Can you give us some filenames that cause the problem?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply.

This just occurred with the following file name:
"FilmTitle MIX March 3 2022.L.wav"

However, this didn't occur with this file name, and I don't see any real different between them (other than a space between the month and the date).
"FilmTitle MIX Feb15 2022.L.wav"

Is it exclusively relying on the filename to guess the channel allocation?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yes, it is only the filename for these filetypes:

From the manual:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-07 um 12.32.53.png

I usually prefer to leave the dot-separation for the actual file extension and choose the underscore, so xxx_L.wav

The dot, though, should work, so maybe it is a bug. Which version do you use?

I know this sounds ''whacky', but maybe 'the way' you add the files plays a role here. So I suggest, for a test, create a new empty project, check all your filenames for proper channel indicators and separators, then add one by one for a test, and do another test with multiple files in one go.

All channels that are not recognised go to Center by default, if I remember right. But maybe it is actually just the spaces in your filename causing this. Try renaming and see if it changes.

- Carsten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I just noticed a bug with this, namely that when looking for the L/R/C patterns it looks in the whole pathname, rather than just the filename :oops:

I fixed that for 2.16.5 which will hopefully be ready in the next day or so. Perhaps you could try that when it's uploaded.