Which source should I use to convert to DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mrwaits

Which source should I use to convert to DCP

Post by mrwaits »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the very noobish question. (I looked over the forum and didn't find a clear answer)

I will need to convert a couple of films to DCP and I have 2 options.
I can convert the a file extracted from the Blu-ray which for example in one case is 27GB, or that same film from a compressed file (h264 ou h265) which is 10GB or less.

I imagine using the Blu-ray theoretically means better quality but my question is how will it affect both conversion times and expected output file size for the DCP.

I only understand the basics of what DCP-O-MATIC does but I can't figure out if there are any benefits on taking the blu-ray file (27GB) using handbrake to compress it to h265 and hardcode subtitles THEN converting to DCP... or if taking that same file and converting directly and hardcoding the subtitles with DCP-o-Matic all at the same time is the better option.

PS: The subtitles are an important step for me. I need to add them. So please share some feedback from adding them on DCP-O-MATIC during conversion to DCP please.

Thanks for the help guys.
Carsten

Re: Which source should I use to convert to DCP

Post by Carsten »

Bluray is compressed as well. But in general, use the earliest generation file available - in this case, the Bluray RIP. Conversion time and output file size will not be affected, or only to a very small extent.

No trouble to add subtitles in DCP-o-matic. You can come back to this forum whenever you run into problems.