New user and some sanity checking with settings

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
paulinventome

New user and some sanity checking with settings

Post by paulinventome »

So i'm looking at this for some DCPs running some tests but i am looking for clarification on a few settings.

In the video tab there is an option for Range - 16-235 and 0-255 - so legal vs full. Does this refer to the source input file or is this an output setting? I am assuming it's input. I have a 12 bit DNxHR master, and i've encoded with with Auto and Full but in all honesty it seems to work better when set to legal - i cannot see any clipping and the luma seems closer to what i am expecting. This menu is also not in the docs as far as i can tell.

My source is also Rec709 2.4 gamma (from Resolve) - which correlates to BT 1886, correct?

How accurate is the colour on the player? I am running both a windows workstation and a Mac PowerBook with M1 and XDR screen. On windows i assume it's just throwing it at the video card (i do have a black magic calibrated monitor but i don't think the player can output via that). But on the Mac the potential is there for some fairly accurate testing but the player would need to maybe have settings or details about how is it doing XYZ to ....?

Many thanks in advance
Paul
Carsten

Re: New user and some sanity checking with settings

Post by Carsten »

All settings on that tab are input related - all settings under 'DCP' are output related.
BT.1886 should be correct, yes.

For common video file types, I would usually take 'limited/legal' range. Simply because it produces a 'legal' master. On a 12Bit file/codec, you don't lose anything by not using full range.