White frames before end credits

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Zefred

White frames before end credits

Post by Zefred »

Hey everyone,

I have encoded a feature, and generated a DCP from it. When I check it in DCP-o-matic, it is fine.

When I play it in DCP-o-matic player though, the subtitles (open) are always on the screen and there is no way to turn them off.

Also, right at the beginning of the end credits, my content has been replaced by a complete white screen for 3 seconds (3x24 frames). I thought it might be a bug with the SMTPE markers that are in that area (first frame of end credits, first frame of moving credits), but the bug doesn't occur on any of these timecodes. It starts roughly 85 frames after the "first frame of end credits" marker.

Any idea what it could be ?

I'm using version 2.18.8 git ef75460b74

Cheers
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: White frames before end credits

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Zefred wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:29 am [...]
When I play it in DCP-o-matic player though, the subtitles (open) are always on the screen and there is no way to turn them off.
[...]
That is the way it is meant to be.
A DCP with subtitles has no way to turn them off. That is the case on a player as well.
If you want to have it without, you need another DCP. Either a complete one, or a VF, where you omit the subtitles. (https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch17.html#idp39)
Zefred

Post by Zefred »

OK. cool.

Now what about the white frames ? I tried to regenerate the DCP... same thing. I am now trying an Interop DCP instead to see if I'm getting the same bug.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Are you sure there isn't something in the source causing this - data corruption, etc.? I don't think the markers have anything to do with it.

I have never seen white frames. Occasionally, DCP-o-matic may create black frames when there are gaps between pieces of content. Wondering what could cause actual white frames. Can you load that MXF file into e.g. VLC, cue to that part, and check wether VLC shows these white frames as well?
Zefred

Post by Zefred »

Yes, VLC shows the white frames as well. I just finished an interop version of the DCP and it has the exact same problem.

For whatever reason, the DCP isn't showing the end title but replaces it with white frames. Just. This. Part...

I didn't create the master file, but it's a fairly classic 4k Apple Pro Res 444.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Is it possible for us to get a copy of the prores file?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Are you using a Mac? It would be interesting to try an export/transcoding of this file, e.g. from Quicktime, into some common format like MP4. Nearly sure that something is broken in that master file.