Error: could not move audio asset into the DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: Error: could not move audio asset into the DCP

Post by Carsten »

VLC has no trouble to create videosnapshots from MXF/J2K files - you just may need to configure this setting properly in VLC prefs (Video/Main/Snapshot), file location, and file type (I suggest PNG or TIFF). You will then see a short message on screen when you create a snapshot. This feature is quite handy, as that way VLC allows to take single images from a DCP or MXF (sometimes the difference IS important) color corrected at the container resolution.
Googloiss

Post by Googloiss »

I know how VLC works with snapshots, I think it doesn't handle mxf/j2k files smoothly, and again, if I press the snapshot command in video menu, nothing happens, no image file is created, no short message on screen, nothing. Of course it works with other types of file. Maybe it's because I don't have the latest version on VLC? I have the 3.0.12 version.

But what about Davinci Resolve? VLC snapshots are better than Resolve?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

As you have seen yourself, Resolve creates another (even more than one) level of uncertainty.

The Snapshot feature in VLC worked for me (both Win and Mac back since even earlier versions than 2.x). Of course it may be possible that there is a bug in the specific version you use. Again, check that the snapshot feature is properly configured in prefs.

Yes, on most affordable machines, VLC is not fast enough for smooth J2K-MXF playback. But it doesn't impact the snapshot feature. What I like about it is that it grabs the image at the container level, so, aside from the reverse X'Y'Z' -> sRGB transformation, you really get the source data, not something that has been 'interpreted' or rescaled. It is also completely independent of monitor resolution.

- Carsten

This is how it looks when I create a VLC video snapshot from a J2K/MXF. This is actually a 4K IMAX DCP/trailer, so the snapshot notably is 4k full container (4096/2160 non-letterboxed) as well, which is typically hard to see using other player tools (they may even fail on it). The snapshot also reveals clearly that the letterboxing is in the player window, not the source (no black bars in the snapshot).

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-09 um 17.51.56.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-09 um 17.51.56.jpg (316.32 KiB) Viewed 580 times

Not saying that single image snapshots helps you with your QC challenge. But it adds a bit of confidence. Some players (like Dolby Cineasset player, or NeoDCP, offer a selection of different X'Y'Z'->sRGB retransforms to adopt to the viewing environment.
Googloiss

Post by Googloiss »

I don't know what to tell you. There aren't much settings for snapshots in prefs, it's png, prefix is "vlcsnap-", destination folder is windows default picture folder. But again, for the third time, I go to the "Video" drop down menu, I press "Take Snapshot", and nothing happens. I wish I can do something more, but that's all, I guess.

Why Resolve creates levels of uncertainty? It's literally the most powerful and complete color correction software out there, shouldn't it give the correct results?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Resolve will give you good results if you can find your way through input, interpretation, gamma, monitoring, output transforms, all the endless options. It simply adds more variables to the equation.
Googloiss

Post by Googloiss »

I graded the video (that I'm trying to convert) in Resolve, using a reliable work chain, both in the hardware and software sides, so I know what I'm monitoring through Resolve (and a decklink, an SDI mini converter, a displaycal calibratrion, and so on).

That said, I was able to take VLC snapshots of a MXF/J2K file (I don't know why but it work only once every time I turn on the PC, so if I want to take more MXF snapshots I have to restart the whole PC, then I can take one MXF snapshot and that's it until the next PC restart, very strange behaviour...).
Comparing the VLC snapshots, the results are almost identical to MPC-HC...
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Very strange, indeed. Maybe try to set another specific folder, not one of the shortcuts (I assume this in Windows?). I was unsuccessful using the 'My Pictures' folder, and thus chose a 'straight' path in windows. That worked.