DOP-o-matic DiskWriter adding more than one DCPs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Miriana

DOP-o-matic DiskWriter adding more than one DCPs

Post by Miriana »

I have 3 x30sec PSA DCPs that will be played in local cinema. I thought I would put all 3 onto one USB thumb drive as they would easily fit onto 8GB drive.
I used Disk Writer on Windows 10 (bootcamp) computer. I could add one of the DCP folders but when I tried to add a second the first was replaced. Seems like I can only add one per drive.
If I format and write one of the 3 using Disk Writer, can I then copy the other 2 DCP folders onto this drive since the drive is formatted as EXT2?

On Window 10 the contents of the drive can't be seen (says folder empty) but on Mac using Paragon exFS I can see the contents of the formatted drive.
So is it safe to copy the other 2 DCPs onto this EXT2 formatted drive?

By the way, I couldn't get Disk Writer to work on M1 Mac Mini but no problem on Windows 10

Miriana
Carsten

Re: DOP-o-matic DiskWriter adding more than one DCPs

Post by Carsten »

You don't need disk writer in this case, just format the thumb drive as NTFS in windows, then copy the three DCPs using standard Explorer procedures.

- Carsten
Miriana

Post by Miriana »

Thanks Carsen, I thought of doing that and will find out if the cinema will accept that.
If they require EX2/3 then I guess I will need to use 3 thumb drives. Not really a problem as they are very cheap.
Thanks for your help
Miriana
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The typical cinema will usually not even notice wether a drive uses a particular format. The formal ext2/ext3 requirement is usually only from festivals etc. that perform structured quality checks on all incoming media. No server that I know even indicates the format of the drives after connection or during ingest, and all servers accept NTFS for ingest.

In Windows, you could use EXT2FSD to write to ext2/3 drives. However, this tool does not allow to format drives as ext2/3. You would need other tools to format (e.g. GPARTED bootmedium, or MiniTool Partition Wizard). But again, for transfers to specific servers, NTFS should be no problem. Make sure the drive uses an MBR partition scheme, not GPT/GUID. No drives larger than 2TB. Thumbdrives should have no issues with that.
Miriana

Post by Miriana »

Yes I formatted to NTFS on 8GB USB Thumb drive and. Opined all three.
Thank you for reassuring me
Miriana
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Since it seems that the DCPs are small (no files bigger than 4GB), probably a FAT32 format would work universally as well. (MBR.)