Standard Movie Subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
pjsanu

Standard Movie Subtitles

Post by pjsanu »

Hi. I'm pretty new to moviemaking and especially making DCPs. I wondered how to make these standard Yellow subtitles in DCP-o-Matic... On the attached photo* I recognized that the font used is "Arial", but when importing a .srt file I can't seem to get the same font size and placement. Can anyone help me out on this one?

*Photo is a snapshot from an original movie trailer DCP, which has its subtitles burned onto the video.

Couldn't get to upload the photo;
https://i.imgur.com/GPgOTOe.png
Carsten

Re: Standard Movie Subtitles

Post by Carsten »

Arial is not a free font file, so, DCP-o-matic uses Liberation-Sans as a similar default font. You are, of course, free to use Arial. You may need to tweak some of DCP-o-matic subtitle display options (color, size,position, etc.), but you should be able to create the same 'look' as in your example.

Using a template, I think you should also be able to re-use the same settings for multiple projects. Just create a little example with your preferred settings, and then save it as a template.
pjsanu

Re: Standard Movie Subtitles

Post by pjsanu »

I can change the font, but tweaking the font size and placement is where it gets weird. It either gets too big or small (no noticeable change before entering 10% smaller or bigger) and it'll get too far to the right/left or high.

How are usually subtitles for Cinema movies made and imported to DOM?