Adding closed captioning using a .srt file

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cherie_rivers

Adding closed captioning using a .srt file

Post by cherie_rivers »

I’m trying to add closed captioning when making a DCP. I have a .srt file for the captioning and ProRes file for the film. Can I do this by selecting closed captioning instead of open subtitles? Or do I need a different file?
Thanks.
Carsten

Re: Adding closed captioning using a .srt file

Post by Carsten »

You can use the same file - just assign as closed captions. However, there are some constraints for closed caption formatting vs. open captions.

http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc9-Clos ... ctices.pdf

http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc10-Sub ... 160211.pdf

http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-SMPTE-ST- ... 180308.pdf

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherie_rivers

Post by cherie_rivers »

Thank you Carsten. I selected the close captioning option but the closed captioning is not showing up. Is there something else I need to select to get the file recognized as closed captioning and not open subtitles. The .srt file is supposed to contain both.
Cherie
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The closed captions are not displayed over the image, but instead in a separate window that you can open with View -> Closed Captions...
cherie_rivers

Post by cherie_rivers »

It turns out that the .srt file was not Closed Captions. So I was sent a new file and used that but it still didn't put Closed Captions on the DCP.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I don't know of any way that you can specify whether a particular SRT file is for subtitles or closed captions - you have to specify it in DCP-o-matic.

Do you see text in the closed captions preview?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think you first need to complete CCAP track name and language designations before they become visible. Just a few mouse clicks - see attached screenshot.

For track name, you choose a useful language name or track type in the target language - sometimes they do match the language codes, but sometimes, especially if there is more than one track, you want something that the target audience can easily understand and select on a portable device.

In my screen shot, the language code is 'de', but the track name I have chosen is 'Deutsch'.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-30 um 00.23.23.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-30 um 00.23.23.png (117.95 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
cherie_rivers

Post by cherie_rivers »

I chose English en and still no closed captioning appears. I'm running a DSS-200, does that make a difference?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I assume you have tested this setup with other DCPs before? Which closed captioning hardware do you use with that Dolby? Have you been able to play other CCAP content with it?
cherie_rivers

Post by cherie_rivers »

If the closed captioning comes with the film DCP Package, it works on our QSC CCH-100 glasses. But I can't add captioning to an existing DCP package or film files that they have sent me. I can add open captioning though.