Audio levels Peak -3.22 dB

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Larchose

Audio levels Peak -3.22 dB

Post by Larchose »

Hi, I’m a new here and try to make a short video to DCP, the audio said it’s Peak:3.22dB, Should I leave it or at more Gain? And what is calculate button for? the graph of the audio levels i’ll send it here. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: Audio levels Peak -3.22 dB

Post by Carsten »

You should actually RAISE the overall level by 3dB - this will get you close to the clipping point, but, that is not a problem. I can see your center RMS level is a bit too low compared to common levels.

Unfortunately, you don't calculate/show LUFS/LEQ numbers, these would give a more useful hint towards proper level. You can enable LUFS/LEQ calculation in prefs.

'Calculate' is meant towards the typical volume setting for cinema audio processors. Until you have listened to your DCP in a cinema using such a processor, 'Calculate' makes no sense for you. It enables kind of a feedback mechanism that allows you to bring your audio level to common values for cinema presentation. But, looking at RMS/LUFS/LEQ will also achieve similar results.
Larchose

Post by Larchose »

Thank you for answering my question before.
When you said RMS center, you mean the green graph? The center sound? should I raise it a little bit more?

This is the LEQ calculation on the photo, what should I do about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The LUFS value is not too bad. While it is not your center level that is closest to clipping, but L and R, you can't do much more - it is already close to peaking. I would stay with the +3dB overall gain. That will bring you to -21 LUFS - which is on spot in my opinion.
Larchose

Post by Larchose »

Thank you so much Carsten, I hope you have amazing 2023. This actually saved me!
Larchose

Post by Larchose »

I raised the Gain to +2.7dB, and it show this (In the photo), the true peak is 0.50dB. I remember this sound, it was slamming the door follow with some loud music. Is it a problem? should I still raise it to 3dB? or should I stay? The LUFS now is 21.16dB
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Peak and True Peak should never rise ABOVE zero. That's your ultimate limit. So, -0.5dB True Peak is okay - even if it's red. It's just close to clipping, but not quite yet.

However, these peak levels are a technical category - clipping should always be prevented. They can not be used to judge proper, or 'adequate' playback loudness.

RMS (especially for dialog) , LUFS and LEQ are better means.
Last edited by Carsten on Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdent02

Post by jdent02 »

Just to add: with sharp transient sounds (i.e. a door slam), it's not terribly uncommon for a signal to clip briefly on film soundtracks. Whatever distortion results from that is masked by the sound itself. Continuous clipping is a bad thing though.
Larchose

Post by Larchose »

Thank you Carsten and jdent02, again.
Last edited by Larchose on Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larchose

Post by Larchose »

I finally raised the Gain +2.7 dB, the LUFS is now on 21.16
This is actually short film (Drama)
But this message pop up before I make DCP (in the photo), Should I override this?
Last edited by Larchose on Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.