dcp folder name question

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cgray999

dcp folder name question

Post by cgray999 »

This name was generated for a dcp we are making.

WtDR_FTR-1_F-190_XX-XX_51_4K_20221205_SMPTE_OV

Is it ok to have the XX-XX in the name? I believe they refer to padding which is 0 in this case.

Is it ok to delete the XX-XX?

Thanks,
CG
carl
Site Admin

Re: dcp folder name question

Post by carl »

They refer to the audio and subtitle languages (see the convention) and XX means "none".

Nothing in the name should stop the DCP from playing, but it might confuse people if you do have audio and/or subtitles. DCP-o-matic should set things up right if you enter the correct details. What version of DCP-o-matic are you using?
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

The folder can be renamed to whatever you like. But then you are only renaming the folder itself, not the DCP.
The screening servers are not looking at the name of the folder.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

XX-XX is okay for a DCP without spoken language and without subtitles. When there is NO audio at all in the DCP, the '51' designator should be replaced by 'MOS'. No audio in a SMPTE DCP means a silent audio track, '51' or any other channel indicator should only be used when there is actual signal in these tracks.

So, a DCP containing e.g. just music or acoustic ambiance could have XX-XX_51, while a silent movie would contain XX-XX_MOS.

All these indicators though are just hints towards the cinema operator. A DCP with the name 'x' would still work. Just that the projectionist or TMS wouldn't have any idea what to expect in it.
cgray999

Post by cgray999 »

Thanks for the help. I understand this language name option item now. I had not seen it in earlier DCP folder titles.