Can't figure out color issue

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
finurligstig

Can't figure out color issue

Post by finurligstig »

Hi everybody

I have a feeling that I am overlook something really basic here, but I just can't figure out how to solve the color issue that I am experiencing.

I have a short ad that's going to be shown in our local cinema, but my DCP file shows with a really weird with an intense cyan/purple tint. Here is a photo that I took of the cinema screen from the control room.

I export the movie from Premiere Pro as an ProRes 422 with the Rec. 709 color profile, and DCP-o-matic is also set to Rec. 709. I have also tried different formats other than ProRes 422 but the end results are always the same, so I am now at a loss to what to do to solve the issue.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Stig
carl
Site Admin

Re: Can't figure out color issue

Post by carl »

You didn't tick the "3D" checkbox when you made the DCP by mistake, did you? If you can attach the "metadata.xml" from your DCP-o-matic project (or send it to carl@dcpomatic.com) I can take a look.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Have you tested your DCP in DCP-o-matic player?
finurligstig

Post by finurligstig »

Hi, and thanks for the replies!

I don't think that 3D was turned on when I made the DCP. I haven’t fiddled with that part of the settings at all, and it is very unlikely that I would have turned it on by mistake several times when exporting new files for testing. But when the cinema operator turns on 3D on her projector, the colors gets better, so maybe there is something here? The excessive green and purple tint disappears, but the colors are still off. I don’t have a picture of how that looks unfortunately.

Here is the metadata for one of my ProRes 422 rec. 709 files https://dcpomatic.com/forum/download/fi ... ew&id=1094. Very kind of you to take a look at it Carl!

And everything looks fine in the DCP-o-matic player.

Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess I know what the issue is, as I have seen it before - your frame rate is probably set to something like 50 or 60 fps. Many systems, especially DOREMIs, set the playlist to 3D mode automatically at these frame rates, then output a different color model over HD-SDI, and the projector displays that false color. Obviously, DCP-o-matic player does not do that, as it is not bound to HD-SDI signal limitations. You should choose a lower frame rate, 24,25 or 30fps.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Something went wrong with the metadata attachment I think, so perhaps you could email it carl@dcpomatic.com Although I think Carsten's idea is a good one!
finurligstig

Post by finurligstig »

Hi again

Carsten's idea sounds like a very plausible solution, so I can try that first and if that doesn’t work we can maybe dig a little further.

Thanks for the help! I'll come back later and report on how it goes with the new files.

Stig