DCP Conversion of UHD Blu-Ray files resulting in Colour being off

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: DCP Conversion of UHD Blu-Ray files resulting in Colour being off

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

Kewl wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:47 pm [...]
I use "videotoolbox" to speed up the encoding because I'm on macOS. The resulting file I bring into DOM. The "Colour" in DOM is Rec.2020.
[...]
Thank you for your feedback.
That brings the question: how would that have been, if you didn't use hevc_videotoolbox, hevc?

I wouldn't mind, in the context of a Blu-Ray -> DCP conversion, but -otherwise- I would probably prefer CPU over GPU for the transcoding. Longer time, but seems to me to offer better quality.
Kewl

Re: DCP Conversion of UHD Blu-Ray files resulting in Colour being off

Post by Kewl »

IoannisSyrogiannis wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am That brings the question: how would that have been, if you didn't use hevc_videotoolbox, hevc? I wouldn't mind, in the context of a Blu-Ray -> DCP conversion, but -otherwise- I would probably prefer CPU over GPU for the transcoding. Longer time, but seems to me to offer better quality.
The default HEVC library in FFmpeg is "x265", AFAIK. From my tests, two years ago or so, I seem to remember that CPU was indeed better than GPU, but that was only noticeable (or only true?) for low bitrates.

For UHD HDR Blu-ray, I will add that I also started cropping the video. FFmpeg has cropdetect to help determine the cropping parameters to apply while converting the file.

Using "cropdetect" on the Exodus test file gave:

Code: Select all

crop=3840:1600:0:280
Inserted in the command, it looks like this:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i INFILE -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -vf crop=3840:1600:0:280,zscale=t=linear,tonemap=hable:desat=15,zscale=p=2020:t=2020_10:m=2020_ncl -c:v hevc_videotoolbox -b:v 70000k -profile:v main10 -c:a copy OUTFILE