Exception Issue into GDC SX-2001A Server

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
JBthefilmer

Exception Issue into GDC SX-2001A Server

Post by JBthefilmer »

Hello!

I've been searching through this forum and creating multiple different DCPs for a premiere I have coming up on March 24th, 2018.

At the event 2 different short films are playing, both have DCPs created with DCP-o-Matic.

Out of the 5 versions created, only 3 ingested properly. And I'm not sure why and need some guidance in this confusing topic.

The 2 films are "Zero Shapiro" and "Locke".

For Zero Shapiro we created two different DCPs. One utilizing the 5.1 upmix Option A and One utilizing the 5.1 upmix Option B. Both of these ingested without issue.

For Locke we created three different DCPs. One utilizing the 5.1 upmix Option A, One utiliing the 5.1 upmix Option B, and one utilizing the Mid-Side decoding option for LRC. The 5.1 Upmix A and 5.1 Upmix B did not ingest into the system. However the Mid-side decoding option did.

As far as I know, the settings for the 2 different films were the same in creating each DCP, yet Locke spat out exceptions for the 2 DCPs.

The Server being used is a : GDC SX-2001A Server

I'm not sure what other specs I need to list here are..so please let me know what you need to know to help assess the issue.

Thanks!

-Joe
Carsten

Re: Exception Issue into GDC SX-2001A Server

Post by Carsten »

Hi Joe,

can you tell us which version of DCP-o-matic and which OS you use? How long is Locke? For now, I assume, source content is just a plain video file with stereo audio?

There have been some rare issues in the past when a projekt has been modified and DCPs been created in multiple runs. Wether that is the reason for your current problem, I am not sure. You may backup metadata of all three dcps ( all files except mxf files) and the project metadata file (metadata.xml) and email them to Carl so he can have a look.

For now, my suggestion would be - recreate the project from scratch, copy it two times (e.g. rename folder to xxxupa, xxxupb, xxxmsd , then load each individual project, adjust the audio processor settings accordingly, and create each DCP within it's own project folder. The current test version 2.11.x features a duplicate function for projects, but you may not yet be running this version, so, simply duplicating the project folders should work just as well.

Some people would suggest to use the OV/VF approach, which is possible in this case, but for now, I would create three independent self contained DCPs.

If you had these issues running DCP-o-matic 2.11.x, that is, any of the 2.11.x test versions, please DO backup everything into a zip file (again, excluding the mxf files) and send them to Carl. He is currently about to release a new stable version, and any potential unknown bugs should raise his special attention.

- Carsten
JBthefilmer

Post by JBthefilmer »

Hi Carsten!

I used DCP-o-Matic Version 2.10.5 git on a Mac OS 10.13.1 High Sierra.

Yep source file is a pro res file created in the flat aspect ratio with stereo audio.

I'll send Carl my files cause technically the one that worked for me, the mid-side decoder, was created using the same project file after the 5.1 Up-mix versions. And those Up-mix versions didn't work. So in the same project created, the one that worked happened after the ones that didn't.

I will creating 3 separate project files and see if that works out.

Another note : I started off creating SMPTE wrapped DCPs and all of those didn't ingest. The only ones that ingested were Interop wrapped DCPS. Just another specific on this case.

Thanks!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, the GDC not accepting SMPTE DCPs is weird. I never heard of that incompatibility before. Do you know what software version this GDC is running?

- Carsten
JBthefilmer

Post by JBthefilmer »

The theater projectionist thought it was weird as well. I don't know very much about these systems, so I have this picture that hopefully answers that question for you..?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That doesn't look exceptionally outdated to me (version 9, with a patch applied in late 2017). Let's see if Carl finds something in those files.

I never had issues with the Upmixers, but then I only ever use them for a test, never for real footage. I am usually fine with the Mid/Side Decoder.

There seem to be some reports about rare ingest exceptions being caused by transfer/storage issues. Are you sure your dcp transfer storage is okay?

- Carsten
JBthefilmer

Post by JBthefilmer »

As in the device I'm transferring from or the server I'm transferring to?

I've been taking a 512gb RED mag SSD and formatting it for ext2 using Paragon for Mac. This is the same way I've transferred the files that did ingest as well.

However, if you're talking about the storage on the server, can you explain that question a little more? I'm not quite following.. :D

Files have been sent to Carl FYI
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Maybe try the ingest again, this time using a simple NTFS formatted disc/stick. There have been some issues with Paragon in the past. The GDC storage should be no issue. NTFS is not an official ingest format, but works on all servers I know.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks for sending the files. I can't see anything bad in them. Can we check the transfer drive and format, as Carsten suggests?
JBthefilmer

Post by JBthefilmer »

Hi Carl!

And yes, sorry didn't respond back yet. I am arranging another test screening with the theater for this week and will be trying out the NTFS drive as well as creating separate project files for each Encoding option.

I'll update after the screening on the results!

Thank you for your assistance!