KDM not from China?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
rjtagayon

KDM not from China?

Post by rjtagayon »

I've made an encrypted DCP and gave it to a client for them to show at a cinema in China. The server is Barco, problem is an error occurs when they try to load the KDM i've provided and it says "the KDM is not from China"

This is the first time I've encountered this and honestly I don't know what the solution is. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
Carsten

Re: KDM not from China?

Post by Carsten »

This may be due to some legal requirements in china, they may enforce KDMs to be signed only from known local issuers.

In some Barco release notes I also saw a special type of KDM being mentioned that has not just a timeframe, but also carries a maximum number of playback operations for a feature. These are local schemes that follow no common standard.

As the chinese market is large, Barco seems to make special software releases for them. I have no idea how to deal with this, other than maybe giving up encryption for these sites. However, unencrypted DCPs can (or must, in this case) be signed as well. so, it is possible that these systems also reject unsigned unencrypted DCPs, or only allow signed DCPs from specific root authorities.

- Carsten
Carsten

Re: KDM not from China?

Post by Carsten »

I inquired with some knowledgeable people and one confirmed that China has strict regulations in place about the content being allowed to play in Chinese cinemas. All KDMs for Chinese theaters need to be routed through a single KDM issuing entity ('China Film Equipment'), and the Chinese TDL is not open/accessible. So you may have been just lucky that they forwarded their ICMP serial/certificate to you to create the KDM, but in general, this simple procedure seems to be prohibited for the Chinese cinema market.

In order to sell their equipment in China, it seems that server manufacturers have to implement signing certificate checks for content and KDMs to enforce this scheme. Wether this is already enforced technically on all existing equipment there in this way, or if it's a new software 'feature' of the Barco ICMP, I don't know. If it's a new feature on the ICMP, your Chinese contact may well have been unaware of this restriction.

Pure speculation, but it may be advisable to tell him to educate himself about possible consequences of his acting.

- Carsten