Typ of DCP-Container

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Frasier66

Typ of DCP-Container

Post by Frasier66 »

Hello together. I am rather new to this software and I am experiencing something which I can not comprehend. I just updated to vs. 2.12.3.. Before that I worked with 2.10.5. There I had the possibility to choose on the second page (DCP) which typ of DCP-container I would like to use. There I also found the DCI 1.78 (16:9/HD), which now is no longer available.

I can now only choose between 3 settings: DCI Flat (1989x1080), DCI scope (20148 x 858) and DCI Full Container (2048 x 1080).

How can I get it back there? Thank you for your advise.

Best, Jochen (Germany)
carl
Site Admin

Re: Typ of DCP-Container

Post by carl »

Hi Jochen,

That container was not strictly standards compliant so it has been removed. You can get the same result by chooseing "Flat" as a container then "1.78:1" for "scale-to" in the video tab. Let us know if you have trouble.

Carl
Frasier66

Post by Frasier66 »

Thank you for the swift answer. I tried this but it won´t lead to the same results! It will leave a black bar on each side at playback ...
Frasier66

Post by Frasier66 »

I went back to vs 2.10.5 ... it works just fine for me ;) Thank you, Jochen
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It will leave a black bar on each side at playback ...
That's exactly the same as you'd get with the 2.10.5 16:9 container when you play it back on a projector. The image will be the same width either way.
Frasier66

Post by Frasier66 »

Oh ... so I gonna try this and see what happens. Thank you!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

We did think a bit about that step to remove all the custom containers, but, according to todays standards, they are not allowed, and can actually cause issues on some systems. I think it is also more honest and correct to show the content in the preview as it will be visible in the cinema. You still have the choice to get rid of the black bars by applying scaling or cropping - but in this case, YOU control it. If you put 16:9 content into a 16:9 container, you leave it to the cinema installation how it will be displayed. And you see something in the preview that is different from the actual screen presentation.

Yes, we knew some people would be irritated, but I think it is the only way to go.

From forum, mailing list and trainings, we know that scaling vs. container selection always was the biggest issue for users to get clear thoughts about, they had identical names, but did not mean the same. I think it is easier now to understand. DCP-o-matic is also not alone there - most other tools I know limit container selection to these three types in 2k/4k.

- Carsten
Aswippe Johnson

Post by Aswippe Johnson »

No, please keep the 3 standards. :) There is no use for the oddball container sizes in professional cinema applications. They only cause confusion.
YOU will be ostracised!
Frasier66

Post by Frasier66 »

carl wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:49 pm
It will leave a black bar on each side at playback ...
That's exactly the same as you'd get with the 2.10.5 16:9 container when you play it back on a projector. The image will be the same width either way.
I went back to the new version and work it the way you told me. No problems to report ;)

Thank you again for your help! Best, Jochen
Gordon McLeod

Post by Gordon McLeod »

I noticed on the newest version it only has flat and scope for container
Full container should be there especially to make test material as well as F220 and F200 which are now being used on many DCP titles recently