DCP for Cannes Film Festival

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
darkwish

Re: DCP for Cannes Film Festival

Post by darkwish »

By the way, in which selections are you competing ?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Carsten wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 am It would be very interesting to learn what would happen if we'd just remove the string 'DCP-o-matic' from the metadata files and replace it with 'DVS Clipster' or something, but, unfortunately, that is no real option...
Hi Carsten,

I think it would be a nice idea, but it should be implemented as user's choice in prefs.
I had once a film refused by one of the big festivals. They reason was and I quote: "This DCP was not prepared using a professional grade software, therefore we can not accept it for our screenings. Please re-submit the DCP."
Needless to say it costed us an arm and a leg, ending up begging a guy who owned EasyDCP
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

While I brought up that idea myself, I can not really advocate a function that helps to deceive the origin of a DCP.
It would result in a very bad reputation if DCP-o-matic would fake DCP provenance that way.

No, we should advocate that DCP-o-matic IS a professional DCP mastering software and insist on DCPs created with DCP-o-matic being considered.

I am, of course, aware of the fact that a happy successful submitter often has few option to insist on HIS submission being used as is.
But I would encourage to inquire and get factual reasons, not accept ideological ones. It is also clear to me that many festivals partner with more or less professional mastering and QC facilities, and they make money from every submission they push through a remaster.

- Carsten
skiff

Post by skiff »

Hi everyone

Thank you for this discussion.
Short film in Cinefondation
http://www.cinefondation.com/en/cinefon ... eselection

Under the “IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED“ they mention DCP

I think their lab is TITRA FILM
And the film was 25 fps

They didn't "fix the DCP" and we sent to them ProRes finally
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

skiff wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 pm Under the “IF YOUR FILM IS SELECTED“ they mention DCP
'You must supply us with a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) with a JPEG 2000 file'

Very little information as the basis for a rejection of DCP-o-matic DCP...

But hey, this is Cannes Festival. They can do whatever they want...

- Carsten
Cantar4

Post by Cantar4 »

carl wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am If you want to put me in touch with a technical contact there I am happy to try to get to the bottom of this..
I have a direct link to the man who is head of the Cannes festival technical team,
but before calling him, may I have the title of this questionable DCP?
--jp
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

@skiff: can you answer Cantar4's question? If so, we can investigate further with the Cannes technical team.
gkumar

Post by gkumar »

Hi cantar4 - can you let me know if cannes allows films in 30 fps?
Cantar4 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am
carl wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am If you want to put me in touch with a technical contact there I am happy to try to get to the bottom of this..
I have a direct link to the man who is head of the Cannes festival technical team,
but before calling him, may I have the title of this questionable DCP?
--jp
mdudzik

Post by mdudzik »

gkumar, last year's Cannes guidelines were:

Code: Select all

3.3 Frame rate
Both 24 fps and 25 fps are acceptable. For other frame rates - HFR for example - it is imperative that you
contact us ahead of time to organise the screening.
From what I know, they mostly use old, good Doremi servers and some IMS3000 so I think it should be fine (no technical limitations), but you should check with them first.
funkytwig

Post by funkytwig »

This is fascinating Reding. My guess is their lab may be filtering out DCP-o-Matic DCPs not because they are technically wrong but because due to it being easy to get it is used a lot by people with less experience than those using expensive software, impurely. So they may get more problems. i.e. they end up having to have more back and forth and test multiple DCPs due to this.

This sucks they should just do technical checks and be agnostic to the software used.

It would be nice if they simply produced a document outlining the DCP-O_Matic settings they require (and I guess setting for other popular software).

Is there any other news/updates on this? @carl?

Regards,
Ben
Last edited by funkytwig on Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.