Subtitles not working unless burnt

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jngovando

Subtitles not working unless burnt

Post by jngovando »

Hi there

I'm on version 2.12.6 but this issue happened with 2.12.5 as well.

since updating to those versions when we try to make a DCP from an MKV (containing vobsub subtitles) the DCP doesnt actually countain any subtitles. Strange is we check the "use subtitles" box and the subtitles do appear on the preview but when we make the DCP it does not contain any subtitles. (I've checked using the DCP player and when I load the DCP it says "subtitles: no".

However if I burn the subtitles it will work. I'd rather not burn the subtitles, I don't believe it's ever the preferable option.

Other strange thing is if I click on "View" it will load for a while but then show nothing in terms of subtitles, while still showing them on the preview.

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Thanks
carl
Site Admin

Re: Subtitles not working unless burnt

Post by carl »

vobsub are bitmapped subtitles, and unfortunately DCP-o-matic only supports burn-in for these at the moment.

It should force you to burn-in with subtitles of this type, but it seems there's a bug there.

One day we will support bitmapped DCP subtitles, but not yet: for now, you have to burn-in.
jngovando

Re: Subtitles not working unless burnt

Post by jngovando »

We jumped from a fairly old version to the new updates and I believe that yes, it used to automatically burn those subtitles and we do have a bug that we need to manually select that option now, which is why we never really realized that until now.

Anyway it shouldn't make a difference for now, if the automatic burn for those types of subs could be fixed at some point though that would be amazing. Thanks a lot.