Audio Description

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
jimmy90

Audio Description

Post by jimmy90 »

Hi all,

I'm having to make a DCP with Audio Description and from what I understand I just have to add the AD track as a separate mono track to the master file and once the DCP has been made, that track will be sent to a separate device for the visually impaired people at the screening. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Adam
jimmy90

Re: Audio Description

Post by jimmy90 »

Hi all,

Sorry to bump this, but I'm running into new problems now.

I've since discovered that I've got to assign the AD to the VI track (track 8) when making the DCP. DCP appears to be detecting my master file as having 8 audio channels and I've made sure that the VI track assigned to the appropriate channel. However, when I then test the DCP using CinePlayer, it seems to be playing out of channel 3 and not channel 8?

I realise that there's a good chance it could be the ProRes file I'm using to make the DCP which could be causing the issue. I'm making the ProRes from Avid so I don't know if anyone here has experience with going from AVID to DCP-o-matic? It's probably also important to mention that it has 5.1 sound as well.

Cheers.
Carsten

Re: Audio Description

Post by Carsten »

You can load the MXF file from the DCP you created into audacity (or other audio software supporting MXF). There you can see one-2-one which channel contains which audio.

You can also load the DCP into DCP-o-matic, play it back, and adjust the audio matrix to find out which signal is where.

It is certainly a bad start if your source content Prores file has an ambiguous channel assignment. Some channels can easily be identified by listening to them, but in some cases, this will not work. AD, however, should be easy to find.

- Carsten