If source and DCP resolution are both 1.85 flat, should I change to no scaling?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
zachnfine

If source and DCP resolution are both 1.85 flat, should I change to no scaling?

Post by zachnfine »

Hi,

My source file is a 1998x1080p24 prores4444 quicktime file, my DCP is to be 1998x1080 1.85 Flat. DCP-o-matic reads my source file and comes up with sane defaults, but it leaves "Scale to:" set to "1.85 (Flat)".

I can see that there's a "No Scale" option in the "Scale to:" popup menu, and I'd kind of expect that to be the right call for this DCP. Or maybe I should just leave it set to "1.85 (Flat)" and trust DCP-o-matic to do the right thing (not do any scaling). I just want to make sure I'm not degrading the image somehow or wasting cycles on scale transformations that aren't scaling.

I've searched the manual and the forums, but haven't found any relevant info. But my searching skills may not be above reproach.

Thanks for any help or information.
carl
Site Admin

Re: If source and DCP resolution are both 1.85 flat, should I change to no scaling?

Post by carl »

Either should give the same result (and with the same internal processing) so use whichever you like.
Carsten

Re: If source and DCP resolution are both 1.85 flat, should I change to no scaling?

Post by Carsten »

I believe you should trust the processing indicators given below Content->Video.
Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-21 um 14.20.00.png
If there is no scaling, cropping, padding, etc. indicated there, it won't be applied.

- Carsten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.