No Italic on the screen (Interop VF)

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
skiff

No Italic on the screen (Interop VF)

Post by skiff »

Hi,
I made a VF DCP (from already existing DCP - Interop) I used xml for the subtitles.
On the computer with easyDCP everything is okay but in the theater no italic.
I saw in the DCP folder (on the computer) is a only one font (Arial.ttf)

What can be the problem?
It should 3 files of font? (I added in DOM 3 fonts - Italic, Bold and Regular)

Best
Skiff
Carsten

Re: No Italic on the screen (Interop VF)

Post by Carsten »

Which DCP-o-matic version have you used for this? I remember there was recently something on Mantis with multiple font tags, have to look it up.

https://dcpomatic.com/mantis/view.php?id=1273

And as it turns out, you don't do italics in subtitles by using a second dedicated italic font - you just declare a text-item using a specific font-attribute within in the XML file, then the projector renders it italic.

<Font Italic=”yes”>

Just as you can for underlined, Bold, etc.

Then why do we have the choice of standard, italic and bold font in DCP-o-matic? Good question ;-)
Then why did no-one ask that question before? Good question ;-)

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

So, how did you mix standard and italic font in your project? Can you show us some examples from your xml files? Did you use an xml file for standard font, and a second one for italic?

- Carsten
skiff

Post by skiff »

Hi Carsten,

Finally I burned the subtitles on the picture, for be on the saved said.
I added one XML that I import to the project and one XML from the DCP folder.
I didn't have enough time to test it again but I hope to understand it in the future.
I think is the good way to add external subtitles is to use PNG.

Best
Skiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skiff

Post by skiff »

Hi,
I continue to invest the issue with the italic problem with VF DCP.
First I am quite sure that I import good XML (DCSubtitel) with all the roles and command for the italics sentence.

I compered between two VF DCP one I got from post production company and one that I made.
I saw the italic appear in the theater (doremi server) for the VF from the post production company.
VF that I made in DOM and test in the same theater (with doremi server) no italics at all.

What I saw the result is a difference between the way DOM write the XML for the server.
Now the question is what the right way to write the XML for the server. And maybe there are few ways to write but not all of them works well for all the server.

There are any way to know what is the more acceptable way for subtitles XML?

I attached the two versions of XML from VF DCP

Best
skiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

>First I am quite sure that I import good XML (DCSubtitel) with all the roles and command for the italics sentence.

How did you create that original source file - a subtitle editor, a converter...? I guess it would be interesting to see the source, and what both DCP-o-matic and the post house made of the same source.

I see the font properties usage is very different between both files. But I don't know how much of that originates from the source, or DCP-o-matic's handling?

--- DCP-o-matic ---
<Font AspectAdjust="1.0" Color="FFFFFFFF" Effect="border" EffectColor="FF000000" Id="Font1" Italic="yes" Script="normal" Size="42" Underlined="no" Weight="normal">
<Subtitle SpotNumber="108" TimeIn="00:12:38:042" TimeOut="00:12:41:198" FadeUpTime="20" FadeDownTime="20">
<Text VAlign="bottom" VPosition="9">A little modesty won't hurt.</Text>
</Subtitle>
---------------------

--- Post house ---
<Subtitle SpotNumber="594" TimeIn="00:12:38:042" TimeOut="00:12:41:198" FadeUpTime="021" FadeDownTime="021">
<Text HPosition="0" VAlign="bottom" VPosition="7">
<Font Italic="yes">A little modesty won't hurt.</Font>
</Text>
</Subtitle>
--------------------

To my knowledge, both methods comply with Cinecanvas and should both display identically.

Looks as if DCP-o-matic groups identical font properties (aka 'leave italics enabled for a group of consecutive lines using it'), while the posthouse gives every subtitle the full set of properties individually (and redundantly). Again, technically, both methods are correct.

Keep in mind that Doremi servers offer two different ways of generating the subtitles - one is the traditional way, in the projector head, the other is, by the server itself, rendered into the image before it leaves the server. These methods can be configured in the servers device config. As the software/renderer behind these two methods are different, the results may differ as well. If I get the time, I may test your files on our two systems (Barco/Alchemy and Sony).

- Carsten
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, I created a timed-text subtitled DCP from both XML files, and both play fine on our Sony Projector, that is, with alternating normal and italics. I have also seen one spot with normal font in the first line and italics in the second line displayed simultaneously. So, maybe it's time to check the subtitle settings and software version of that Doremi server and the projector, because, depending on the setting, the issue you have could be caused by the projector, or the server.

- Carsten
skiff

Post by skiff »

Thank you very much for your help!!
It makes it sense.
I know they have a problem with 4K subtitles, that it is screened bigger... So maybe same thing go wrong with the server or the projector.

I will burn the subtitles.
Do you know if PNG subtitles can work also like VF?
If the answer is yes, I think is the best way to make no burn subtitles.

Again thanks for your help.

Best
Skiff