Horizontal interference lines

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Fishie

Horizontal interference lines

Post by Fishie »

HI, firstly thanks for DCP-o-matic. Absolutely brilliant.
The issue - After having a bit of trouble installing, finally got ver 2.12.6 up and on (Mac Pro late 2013 6 core) I created a 95 minute DCP from Pro Res 422HQ film. I did it at 150Mbps so as not to max out the projectors or servers (what I had been told might happen) and did it as a SMPTE. It took about 4.5hrs as far as I remember. It was to be screened at a Vue cinema in England. They ingested it straight into the projector (Sony, sorry can't remember what model). It worked fine. All audio and sizing and colour etc was brilliant. However, a few times through the film there were some horizontal lines, in a few frames. It only happened maybe 5 or 6 times.
I tried to play back on DCP player, it works fine but the lines don't appear but when running at full res it is dropping frames anyway (computer speed I guess). Also tried frame by frame but can't find them.
I asked the tech at Vue if he thought it might be DCP-o-matic conversion or the Sony projector. He didn't know.

Any ideas.

Hope this is correct way to post - new to it all.

Thanks again

Phil
Mollusc Films, Hull, UK
Carsten

Re: Horizontal interference lines

Post by Carsten »

Never seen something like that (we have a Sony).

I don't know how much time the Vue people are willing to spend on this. If e.g. they could pinpoint the time where at least one of those issues occur. It's easy to step through the DCP/MXF with DCP-o-matic at full resolution to find possible encoding errors. What frame rate/resolution is this DCP?

Your installation problems were...? On the Mac, it is normal that after the installation the first start of each app takes a long OS X verification pause. You simply have to wait for this to finish. Subsequent app starts will not show this delay.

That said, 2.12.11 is now the current stable release.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Carsten: do the Sonys verify hashes on ingest?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I wish I could say yes, but I have seen DCPs that were ingested and allowed to play, but with errors. I guess I should try this with the current software on our Sony.

- Carsten