Inserting accessibility content to a DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Antonio P.M.

Re: Inserting accessibility content to a DCP

Post by Antonio P.M. »

Hello everyone!

I am Antonio from Barcelona/Spain.
Also in Spain it is beginning to be mandatory to include accessibility files in DCPs.
Like several of you, trying to find a way to do it.
Is there any way to see Christian's video? It would be a great help.

Thank you!
Antonio
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

That video deals with a specific format that is used in Brazil - Libras. It is much easier with conventional captions or assistive audio tracks. Just start with some basic test files. DCP-o-matic offers everything to test the results - audio mapping in the player (to make HI/VI-N tracks audible), and a closed captions viewer in the player.
willian.lino

Post by willian.lino »

Hello Antonio,
Very pleased to speak with you.
I suggest you check which files will be mandatory in the DCP in your country.
Example: Here in Brazil (Signal Language(LB) + Audio Description (AD) + Descriptive Subtitles(CC)).

For CC see the photo below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbugCn ... sp=sharing
AD: See the picture below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14DCwJS ... sp=sharing
LB: See the photo below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J0B99L ... sp=sharing

Note: The LB system is a little more complex, as it needs to have some more settings to be built into the DCP.

I take advantage of the discussion to ask you two questions Carl.

1st When will there be an update where we can visualize the LB embedded in the DCP?

2º Have you ever seen a problem like this?
Where the LB lose their instability and come back after some time.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1onIQ0Z ... sp=sharing

This should help some DOM users.
I hope it helps.
Willian
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

1st When will there be an update where we can visualize the LB embedded in the DCP?
I don't know - I'm working on it, but I'm not sure when it will be ready.
2º Have you ever seen a problem like this?
Where the LB lose their instability and come back after some time.
Sadly I have no experience with the playback of sign language tracks (and no way to test them, which makes things a bit difficult...) Maybe someone else on the forum has an idea.
willian.lino

Post by willian.lino »

Hi Carl,
Thanks a lot for the quick turnaround.
I will wait for new ideas.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I guess Carl would need to see a short DCP using libras. It's video encoded into an audio track. The trouble is, Libras is used very little outside of Brazil currently, so, there is very little material and experience with it in the rest of the world.

It seems that it now common to use personal smartphones to watch libras? Can you name some apps that support it? How does the audio, that carries the encoded video, arrive at the smartphone? If the libras device cut's out, the reason is most probably that connection from the cinema server to the libras showing device. This needs to be special hardware. As far as I know, Dolby sells such a device, but only in Brazil:

https://professional.dolby.com/product/ ... azil/#gref

https://professional-dolby-com.translat ... =wapp#gref

As far as I can see, the central cinema device is a Mini-PC, that probably runs the audio track decoder and sends the signal to a smart-phone over wifi.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The encoding part is reasonably well documented, but any example DCPs would be great.

Is the sign language always presented on a separate device/screen? I'm wondering about the best way to preview it in DoM - the options seem to be overlaying it somewhere on the main image, or putting it in a separate window (like we do with closed captions).
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I would do it as with the captions, separate window.
willian.lino

Post by willian.lino »

Hi Car and Carsten,
I'm following the discussion...
Carl, you can use any type of video file to play
pounds and a mini screen, I agree with Carsten, the best way would be to activate pounds like we did with CC.
Still, if you need I can send you some files for testing.

Thank you very much,
Willian
bengineer

Post by bengineer »

Followed this for a bit, reached out to Dolby and few distributors in the US for any test content that had a sign language track. But came up empty on all fronts. I realize this currently isn't being implemented but I am currently installing Dolby DAS-100/300 systems and I would really like to have a way to test (and future-proof) these systems. The cable that ships with the Dolby DAS-100 is a poorly constructed 12ft UTP T cable that separates the wires and sends them to an RCA plug. There are multiple reasons this cable doesn't work for me, but regardless, I would like to test all channels of transmission from my media blocks to the sound processors and the DAS-100s for my installs.
So I am hoping someone has just a short "channel" test with the closed captioning, hearing impaired, visually narrative, and the new sign language video encoded in a DCP so I can feel confident about the Sign Language Video connections I'm making to the DAS-100.
Thanks!
Ben :idea: