ext2/3 partision and copy, can it be done reliebly in windows

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
funkytwig

ext2/3 partision and copy, can it be done reliebly in windows

Post by funkytwig »

Thinking the best way to actually create the drive is to dual boot into Linux (possibly with a live boot Linux USB drive).

However, I have noticed that there are until that can create the filesystem in windows (https://www.diskgenius.com/how-to/forma ... indows.php). I believe you can also copy files to an ext file system using it.

Has anyone any experience with DiskGenius, or other similar software. Is it reliable?

Also as a slight side note, I think ime going to go for ext 2, although ext 3 also feels fine. I believe DCP Servers mount in read-only so I believe this is the same for ext 2/3 as ext 3 is ext 2 with journaling, and journaling is not relevant to RO filesystems).
Carsten

Re: ext2/3 partision and copy, can it be done reliebly in windows

Post by Carsten »

Have you checked DCP-o-matic disk writer already? It may need some polishing, but it should work. You may install other linux drive managing tools to access or test content once the DCP drive has been created by disk writer. I use ext2FSD in windows.

When I have to create an ext2/3 disk for general DCP use, I use a small bootable USB Stick with GPARTED. You need to know the proper parameters to create such disks, from the commandline, though.

Unless explicitly requested, though, NTFS is fine for DCP distribution. The disk, however, absolutely MUST have an MBR partition table, which is sometimes difficult to achieve in windows.