Free software for making ext 3 drives on windows

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
funkytwig

Free software for making ext 3 drives on windows

Post by funkytwig »

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck making ext 3 DCPs on windows? I generally use Windows but do the final bit (create media) on Linux but would be great to do everything on windows but want to make sure I make reliable DCPs?
Last edited by funkytwig on Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Free softwarw for making exx 3 drives on windows

Post by carl »

If the disk writer in this version doesn't solve your problem it would be interesting to hear about why :)
funkytwig

Re: Free softwarw for making ext 3 drives on windows

Post by funkytwig »

Thank you, how solid is it? Also cant find it in the mnaual. Will have a look in a bit.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It's not had a lot of testing, so it's hard to say how solid it is. There's not really much to it - just choose the DCP, choose the drive and press "go".
pasaico

Post by pasaico »

funkytwig wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:16 pm Was wondering if anyone has had any luck making ext 3 DCPs on windows? I generally use Windows but do the final bit (create media) on Linux but would be great to do everything on windows but want to make sure I make reliable DCPs?
for windows MINITOOL PARTITION FREE, format harddisk in EXT 2/3/ with inode size 128
then EXT2fsd free for write on harddisk.
when you have finished copying your DCP and then remove the disk (remove letter) inside Ext2fsd after refresh disk
it has always worked with me, but I can test everything in the DCP dolby and doremi servers to be sure that everything works.
GBMedia

Re: Free software for making ext 3 drives on windows - so far so good

Post by GBMedia »

I am using DCP-O-matic Disk Writer for the first time, :D

It lets you confirm which disc to disconnect and then format, this is the bit you need to be careful about I guess so you don't ask it to format your Drive C but its shows you the names so you can choose easily and safely. It then formats the drive (in my case a T5 SSD) and then copies the DCP.

Very simple and stable so far, I will report back how the cinema was where I delivered them.

Nice that Carl and his team have made this! thanks
Attachments
de 3.JPG
de 3.JPG (41.1 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
de 2.JPG
de 2.JPG (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
@simonyapp - Four Windows systems - Adobe cloud editing software. We really love DCP-o-matic.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Free software for making ext 3 drives on windows

Post by carl »

Thanks for testing and reporting - it should refuse to write to your C: drive, but I understand if you don't want to test that! :lol:
GBMedia

Post by GBMedia »

I am now not having so much luck,

The copying finished before but there wasn't anything on the drive, (I install a EXT3 reading software so I could check the external T5) I am now trying to copy it again and it just gives this error, any idea? hope it helps the beta process.

In the meantime what software would you recommend to make a EXT3 drive in windows? and copy the DCP over? Thanks
de 4.JPG
de 4.JPG (50.02 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
@simonyapp - Four Windows systems - Adobe cloud editing software. We really love DCP-o-matic.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Can you click on "Details..." and show us what it says?
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

pasaico wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:55 am [...]
for windows MINITOOL PARTITION FREE, format harddisk in EXT 2/3/ with inode size 128
[...]
That inode size 128 bytes is a great idea. But how do you implement it with MiniTool Partition (Wizard) Free?
Are you using a non-free version that has such a dialogue?
I have that program on a computer (I haven't ever used it, but I upgraded it from v10.3 to the latest), and when I target an unallocated space and choose "create", I don't get such a dialogue. At least not on EXT2 or EXT3. I haven't pressed "create", to see if there is something more to set after that.
How do you do it?