Two subtitle tracks

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Mikas

Two subtitle tracks

Post by Mikas »

Hi !

I want to make dcp of feature film and i have 2 srt subtitle files in different languages.
I need it to work like this: when you play a dcp - you can choose which subtitle to show. But now
when i add both srt to a project they apear both at the same time and choose STREAM is
not allowed. What to do? :mrgreen:
carl
Site Admin

Re: Two subtitle tracks

Post by carl »

The "proper" way to do this is a bit long-winded in DCP-o-matic at the moment (and not very well tested) but do give it a try if you are feeling brave.

1. Make a DCP with just video and sound and no subtitles.
2. Create a new project and add the DCP from (1) as content. Add the .srt file. Tick "Refer to existing DCP" in the video and audio tabs. Make the DCP. This will create a small supplemental DCP which will have subtitles.
3. Repeat (2) with the other .srt file.

Then for playback you can ingest the DCPs made in (1) and (2) (or (1) and (3)) and play DCP 2 or 3 and the appropriate subs should play.

Let us know how you get on if you try it!
Regards, Carl
vlado

Post by vlado »

Hi,
Since the answer is from 2015 is there any improvement in adding more than one subtitles into DCP project?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi!

No, current DCP specs allow only one subtitle track. So the only way for you to have both subtitle tracks is making 2 supplemental DCPs, just as Carl wrote.