New System recommendations

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Arqade

New System recommendations

Post by Arqade »

Hi Guys,
since our old system crashed today, we are thinking about creating a whole new computer, just to perform DOM at it.
I can’t find any System Requirements of DOM, or what Parts the are mostly used for creating a dcp.
Is it more a CPU, or a GPU related process? I think a SSD Drive as the destination drive while creating the dcp is a thing, but im not shure if we need more power on CPU, or GPU side?

I hope somebody can give us some tips in this case.

Regards

Matze
Carsten

Re: New System recommendations

Post by Carsten »

M.2 (PCIe) SSD large enough to hold a few DCPs and source files - I guess that means 500-1000GB minimum.

Fast mass storage was not so important some time ago when J2K encoding was the primary bottleneck. Now that single CPUs can reach 40-50fps J2K, certain parts of the full transcoding that are IO intensive become more important. Audio analysis, hash checks, etc., so, fast PCIe SSDs are important to max out the system.

The most relevant thing is the CPU - according to current DCP-o-matic benchmarks, an AMD Ryzen 9 39xx or 59xx is the best choice. Clock rate is secondary, the most dominant factor is the number of physical cores and, hyperthreading support. The most overall performance is achieved by using a dual CPU board, however, most current economic CPUs are Workstation CPUs that can not be twinned on a board. Server CPUs can, but will usually cost much more.

According to this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

the 5950X offers the best price/performance combination currently. If it must be Intel, the Intel Core i9-12900. Next is probably the Ryzen 9 5900X.

16GB of RAM is sufficient for DCP-o-matic. Depends on wether that machine is used for other media applications, then you would probably add more RAM and a more powerful GPU.

Carl is working on some GPU support, but, also given current bizarre pricing for GPUs, I would only add the most basic GPU for now, and wait until Carl finishes GPU support.

I guess other items are nice to haves - e.g. a large spinning disc to store away DCPs.

Are you usually working from compressed video files, or do you often use lossless image series (TIFF, DPX, etc.)?