Cannot inject my DCP into the cinema server

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
hangsiu

Cannot inject my DCP into the cinema server

Post by hangsiu »

Hi guys, I made a DCP trailer for the cinema but they said the DCP could not be injected. Attached are the screenshots of the server and the DCP root folder.

Appreciate your help!
Attachments
DCP root folder.jpg
DCP root folder.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
error message.JPG
error message.JPG (37.1 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
gunnar

Re: Cannot inject my DCP into the cinema server

Post by gunnar »

How did you transfer the DCP to the cinema? Via ftp?
DCP can easily gets corrupted during transfer and if the default to transfer type is not set to binary in the ftp client.

This name of the DCP is missing a lot of info but that is still not the reason for this.
hangsiu

Post by hangsiu »

Thank you for your answer. I zipped the folder and uploaded it to the Dropbox for the cinema to download it.

I have been transferring DCP files to cinemas in this way which worked all the time but this is the first time I created the DCP by myself using DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Looks like a Doremi server at the cinema. In general, they are no picky. As Gunnar suggests, I guess something went wrong with the transfer. This seems to be a small file, short or trailer, ad, etc. You may try to send it again wrapped in a ZIP file and let them uncompress it at their side. You may also check the original on your side with the verification option in DCP-o-matic player. Make sure you install/use the latest 2.16.x version.
rl1983

Post by rl1983 »

Don't zip DCP files. I've had nothing but problems with corruption. Link them to a Dropbox with the folder and let them download the full thing.
hangsiu

Post by hangsiu »

Thank you all. I reinstalled the 2.16.x version and transferred the file again with your suggestions. It works finally!

Appreciate your help!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

ZIP is safe, major companies distribute all trailers and ads ZIPed. ZIP can get problematic with archive sizes larger than 4GB. That's basically solved with later ZIP software, but it can still hit you depending on how/where the ZIP is created and uncompressed.

The benefit of ZIP with DCPs is not compression/storage size, but that it adds another level of integrity during transfer.

Therefore, it can be used safely for trailers, ads, shorts as long as the archive does not grow larger than 4GB. Later versions of 7-zip deal properly with archives larger than 4GB, also when created on a Mac.
rl1983

Post by rl1983 »

The 4gb limit makes sense, we generally don't get anything except trailers and KDMs zipped.

We have received short films and indie features zipped sent to us which 95% of the time are usually corrupted. Very frustrating when a slow download is involved. With the multitude of programs that can " zip " files, I'm sure the standard isn't widespread as this continues to happen. 7-Zip works great. I doubt everyone is using that though. Does StuffIt still exist for Mac? That was a popular zip program a decade ( or two ago ).
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

The extensions of the files being omitted doesn't help a lot. (assetmap and volindex were indeed with no extention, or not?) The DCP naming, even less.
Yet, if the error seems to come up on the PKL file, where the hash info of the files resides, it is highly likely that there are files in the package that don't match the originals.
I, for one, am in favor of zipped DCPs more than ones sent via Dropbox. I usually ask, if Dropbox or GDrive can not be skipped, to zip first.

+1 for FTPing using binary transfers. I did come upon FTP downloads that were ruined because the upload was not binary. Downloading again and again the same asset wouldn't work. That was what tipped us off that the problem was on the upload.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Assetmap and Volindex without XML file extension 'means' Interop.

Being a Doremi, the detailed log may have more information about the issue.