Subtitle color coming only black after updating to latest version

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
mohmad0ali92

Subtitle color coming only black after updating to latest version

Post by mohmad0ali92 »

Hey
Today I updated from 2.16.12 to 2.16.13
The subtitle colors came Black no matter how hard I tried to change them to other colors (I'm aware of these options well and I use them daily)
and no matter how many projects I had made, the SRT I'm using doesn't include any formatting.
I'm burning the subtitle only as I do usually

I downgraded to 2.16.12 and it didn't work
this problem happened to me after the update

Is anybody else facing the same issue?

Update The problem got solved when I downgraded to version 2.16.8 and I deleted the folder in the AppData folder on windows
carl
Site Admin

Re: Subtitle color coming only black after updating to latest version

Post by carl »

So you're seeing black subtitles when looking at the DCP in the player? After you made a DCP using a .srt file?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I don't see that in 2.16.11 and 2.16.13. I was just able to create subtitled DCPs (both timed text and burn-in) with the text coming up in blue. Plain SRT with just the timing and text in it. Mac OS X 2.16.11 and 2.16.13, SMPTE DCPs. I can see the proper color both in DCP-o-matic preview, as well as in the player.

Can you try to create your DCPs again in Interop, and show us the resulting XML file from the interop subtitle folder?

Or upload also your TimedText MXF subtitle file or send it to Carl?

You could also try a test with JUST an SRT file added to a new project (subtitle is rendered on black background then).
mohmad0ali92

Post by mohmad0ali92 »

carl wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:24 pm So you're seeing black subtitles when looking at the DCP in the player? After you made a DCP using a .srt file?
Yes exactly, I used 2 different players, It's showing white color while making it in DoM, but after encoding it's coming black. (It's happening with burned subtitles only) I have tried to change the appearance to different colors and the subtitles remained black.

As I mentioned I solved it by downgrading to 2.16.8, then I upgraded again to 2.16.13 and the problem came back again, so I have to re-downgrade.

Thank you carl.
mohmad0ali92

Post by mohmad0ali92 »

Carsten wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:16 am I don't see that in 2.16.11 and 2.16.13. I was just able to create subtitled DCPs (both timed text and burn-in) with the text coming up in blue. Plain SRT with just the timing and text in it. Mac OS X 2.16.11 and 2.16.13, SMPTE DCPs. I can see the proper color both in DCP-o-matic preview, as well as in the player.

Can you try to create your DCPs again in Interop, and show us the resulting XML file from the interop subtitle folder?

Or upload also your TimedText MXF subtitle file or send it to Carl?

You could also try a test with JUST an SRT file added to a new project (subtitle is rendered on black background then).
----------------------------------------------------------
Hello Carsten
I tried to burn the srt for both SMPTE and Interop it's the same, the problem is getting solved when I'm downgrading as I mentioned, if you want more files I can do a batch upload.

here is the DCP with screenshots
https://we.tl/t-VpHd8Fzad0
Last edited by mohmad0ali92 on Mon May 30, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Will try a windows version as well.

Wondering wether it has something to do with font smoothing - as that is different system function between Windows and Mac, and it caused issues before.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Here's a bug. I can also try it out on Windows later.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I can't reproduce this yet. Could you perhaps attach / email the metadata.xml, log and your .srt file? carl@dcpomatic.com
mohmad0ali92

Post by mohmad0ali92 »

carl wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:21 pm I can't reproduce this yet. Could you perhaps attach / email the metadata.xml, log and your .srt file? carl@dcpomatic.com
Hello Carl, I'm sending.
Last edited by mohmad0ali92 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Thanks - received. How are you converting the .srt into the .xml that's in the project? Can you also send the subtitle XML?