Audio Upmixers/Processors

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
FAndreas

Audio Upmixers/Processors

Post by FAndreas »

Hello,

I already used DoM in the past for cinema ads with mixed LRC videos.
I do not have a multichannel audio setup for editing anymore and want to give the upmixers a chance for a upcoming 25 minutes short Iam working on. Source will be a stereo file. Documentary with a interviewee and music with immersive impressions. ;)

I studied the audio processor options in the manual and wonder about best practice for the right choice here before I try it in cinema. Mid-side decode seems to be a safe decision without any unwanted surprises. But which Stereo to 5.1 up-mixer could be a good choice in this scenario to get even more out of the stereo signal?
Version A seems quite complicated.

Any best practice, experience with it or advice?

Regards
Andreas
Carsten

Re: Audio Upmixers/Processors

Post by Carsten »

It is highly dependant on the source material. Sometimes I create 5.1 upmixes and listen to the individual tracks/surround channels (audacity will open the 5.1 MXF file with the FFMPEG plugin). You get some idea that way.

For a traditional 'narration with music' piece, I would stick with the LCR upmixer.

- Carsten
FAndreas

Post by FAndreas »

Hei Carsten,

thanks, the idea with audacity is great. I give it a try the next days. And what is your experience with your upmixed pieces? Do you fall back to LCR a lot and why? Would be very interesting for me.

I was hoping to get a bit more rumble with the sound track this way (5.1 upmix) because of the utilization of LFE channel. I am aware that the other speakers should be full range in general.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You won't get the necessary rumble into the LFE with DCP-o-matic's upmixers. It doesn't create sub-harmonics, as most commercial upmixers do.

In general, I don't use the upmixers. Basically, because for the work I dost mostly, they are not relevant. That said - our cinema processor offers a DTS Neo:6 upmixer - so whenever I want that function, I can activate it real time.

If you don't have a chance to hear your upmix in a real cinema auditorium, I would avoid upmixer A and B.

- Carsten
FAndreas

Post by FAndreas »

Thanks Carsten,
I think I will stick to the LCR upmixer and do some tests with it.
FAndreas

Post by FAndreas »

I did a test with LCR upmixer yesterday and opened it in audacity, noticed that everything was in C-channel und only music where also playing in L/R-channel. I think this it how it works when it is called mid-to-side processor and only music is a stereo source? Not sure right now but it looks like that stereo sound is gone after that and in L and R there’s the same (music) signal?
FAndreas

Post by FAndreas »

stereo sound is gone after (LCR-upmixing) that and in L and R there’s the same (music) signal
Is this really expected behavior?

Edit:
I monitored the specific channels in Audacity which put them on both output channels during playback. :roll: :D