Copy DCP with New Image

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Richardfox

Copy DCP with New Image

Post by Richardfox »

Hi all. Just a quick question. While DCP isn't similar to straight video, is it possible to overlay new images over the existing audio of a previous DCP in the DCP-O-Matic environment?

The reason: I made a DCP with burnt in Subtitles. Everything was perfect when tested in a cinema especially the audio levels and surround mix. However, unfortunately I can't locate my notes on the combination of files I used and the levels I experimented with to make that DCP file. So I'd like to retain the audio, but change the images by substituting with the original image sequence (DPX) without any subtitles.

If I have to do it all over, would an mp4 export from DCP-O-Matic retain the audio levels, channels and bitrate? Then I could just drop the image sequence back on to create a new DCP?

I'm more concerned about the audio as it was perfect.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Carsten

Re: Copy DCP with New Image

Post by Carsten »

It's no problem to reuse the existing audio MXF file in a new DCP. You just need to make sure that your new video has the exact same number of frames as the old one.

Just create a new project/DCP, add you images, and then add the audio MXF file from the previous DCP.

- Carsten
Last edited by Carsten on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Ahhh Awesome!!! I shall be trying that now sir! Thanks a million for the quick response.!!! Thanks again!
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Ok, here is my stupid question; how do I export MXF audio from DCP-o-Matic? I have done the Prores and mp4, but they only give one file. Is there something I'm missing or perhaps I'm using an older version?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

The DCP creation/rendering process itself creates the MXF files. One for video, one for audio, and in SMPTE DCPs, one for subtitles. So, if you already created a DCP and want to reuse it's audio, just create a new project, choose 'Add file', then locate the audio MXF file in the existing DCPs folder. The audio MXF is usually flagged as PCM, and it's also the smaller of the two files. Ideally, you would set the new DCP's audio channel count to the same as the preexisting DCP. Or, in most cases, just leave it at 6/5.1. The preexisting MXF audio file will be copied 1:1 into the new DCP.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-18 um 00.06.28.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-18 um 00.06.28.png (69.13 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Richardfox

Post by Richardfox »

Carsten,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again!!!