SMPTE 5.1 DCP shown as wild

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cloud06

SMPTE 5.1 DCP shown as wild

Post by cloud06 »

Hi!

I have a question. When checking SMPTE DCP made with latest version of DOM in EasyDCP, it shows warning. I am unable to see details because I am using trial. I believe this is not important, because I've read somewhere it si because of naming convention.

The problem I see is this - 5.1 DCP is shown as "6ch Wild". Interop is shown as "5.1" correctly.

Any idea why is this problem?
Carsten

Re: SMPTE 5.1 DCP shown as wild

Post by Carsten »

No one really knows what Easy-DCP checking is based on. Keep in mind, they are selling their own Easy-DCP creator for money, and it is quite obvious they will never issue a warning about DCPs created with their own software...
Doesn't mean Easy DCP validator is useless, but, always take it with a grain of salt. Of course, their warnings never get specific until you buy their software, that's the idea of these opaque warnings in the test edition.

What 'wild' here means is 'Wild track format'. That may sound bad, but actually is a proper term. It is only used for SMPTE DCPs, because audio track formats have only be specified for SMPTE DCPs. So, even using the same channel assignment, Interop DCPs formally can never use 'WTF'.

e.g.
---
3.4.3 AUDIO FORMAT
Audio MXF shall utilize the “Configuration 4” Channel Assignment UL as noted in SMPTE ST 429-2, commonly referred to as “Wild Track Format”. No other channel formats, included “Undefined” or “0” (IOP) will be accepted.
---

http://www.deluxecdn.com/dcinema/suppor ... es_1.0.pdf

(Not, the above file is an older mastering facility guide, not a formal spec like SMPTE, I only reference it here for the purpose of the Wild Track Format)

- Carsten