Are markers in VF carried over from OV?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
chrusli

Are markers in VF carried over from OV?

Post by chrusli »

I created a OV DCP with the Video and Audio. I created a new DCP and added an SRT subtitle and ticked the “Use this DCP's video/audio as OV and make a VF”. In my OV I have set two markers. It doesn't consider them in the VF. Will the projector take “magically” the markers from the OV or do I have to redo them for the VF?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!
Carsten

Re: Are markers in VF carried over from OV?

Post by Carsten »

Carrying over markers generically is not a good idea, since VFs may not just introduce another audio language or subtitles, but also edits, thus rendering the marker positions potentially useless (which is 'dangerous', as you don't want certain cues to come up automatically during show playout). It would probably be nice to be able to extract markers and reinsert them in an easy way, but for now, you have to add them separately for the new VF.

Technically, markers are part of a DCPs metadata fileset (XML files), and for a VF, only media assets are reused, but none of the metadata files, these are always created from scratch.

- Carsten
chrusli

Post by chrusli »

Thank you for that explanation. In my naive assumption, I thought you would be able to track if those dangerous changes happen in the VF compared to the OV. But I guess that would be a lot of work with still a very shaky and uncertain outcome. I thought that this would be the answer and already added the markers in the VF, which honestly is very easy to do the way you implemented it. One suggestion in this context if I may: It would be nice to jump back/forth e.g. 5-10 frames.

Best regards
Stephan
matthias.damm

Post by matthias.damm »

I'd like to second or "push" this request.
I see the risk - but the VFs I create are almost just different language and/or subtitle versions which have exactly the same timing.
I suppose this is genereally the by far most common use.

Therefore, a "copy markers from OV" option would be just great!

If this is not possible, it would be helpful to include the marker timings to the CoverSheet.txt file!

Thanks,
Matthias
Last edited by matthias.damm on Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthias.damm

Post by matthias.damm »

matthias.damm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:08 pm I'd like to second or "push" this request.
I see the risk - but the VFs I create are almost just different language and/or subtitle versions which have exactly the same timing.
I suppose this is genereally the by far most common use.

Therefore, a "copy markers from OV" option would be just great!
Another addition to this:
I'd like to suggest the new Tools > Version File (VF) window as a place for an option to copy markers from the OV to VF.
There just could be another checkbox (or button) to copy the markers from the OV.
This would make the copying a conscious decision (and would rule out the small percentage of cases where copying the markers would cause problems).
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I'll try to look into this sooner rather than later. Here'a a note in the tracker.