DCP Supplemental Package

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
auta

DCP Supplemental Package

Post by auta »

Hi I am creating an OV DCP and I am creating a VF replacing a video fragment (inserts).

I create a new project, load DCP, load DKDM, add insert. In OV DCP on video tab "Use video of this DCP as OV and make VF" on audio tab "Use audio of this DCP as OV and make VF"

I paste a insert in the timecode to replace reel in the OV DCP, and in the OV DCP the checkbox "Use this DCP's video as OV and make VF" is unchecked. How to fix it?
Attachments
2022-08-01 152152.png
2022-08-01 152152.png (240.19 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
Carsten

Re: DCP Supplemental Package

Post by Carsten »

This not possible in a direct way.

'Inserting' is only possible by replicating (right-click) content and trimming both parts to their respective out/in points. And I have never tried wether it works as a supplemental package.

Is the OV already circulating? Because, if you just want to omit the encoding, you could just skip the OV/VF process and create a new OV the way I described above.

VF is only needed to save space for a second version, or if an OV is already circulating and can not be revoked without much effort.
auta

Post by auta »

The package is not circulating. I want to replace several parts of the video with another language
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

In that case, I would create a new DCP/OV. One/few edits within DCP-o-matic are possible the way I described it, but in general, it would be better to do it in the video editing application and create a new master before creating the DCP. If access to the video editor project is still possible.
auta

Post by auta »

I do not have the opportunity to make a for each language version OV/DCP

I will need to make a VF for each language.

It would be convenient if work with coils is reels.

Will this opportunity be implemented in the future?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You mean you already have OVs for every language you need? And want to add that insert into every language?

I would still not go the VF route - add the insert by splicing copies of the content, omit the OV/VF approach, and create a new OV for each language including the insert.

- Carsten
auta

Post by auta »

I need to make an OV Russian version and make a VF English version where there will be inserts of graphics in English, subtitles and English audio.
There are not many inserts - 5 pcs. For the sake of 5 pieces, making a whole OV package is not profitable.
It's easier to make an OV version and VF to it.
It is a pity that this cannot be done through DCP-O-Matic :cry:
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well - it can be done, but for 5 inserts, very cumbersome. Depending on the content, it would have been better to have provided a placeholder in an OV, and then add all languages as subtitles or PNG images. The latter is probably still possible. This is the way how it is done often for international releases - we receive a so called 'International Textless Version'/OV, and then some VFs with different languages.

A PNG ot timed text can be overlaid over the video. But of course, the background needs to be suitable for this.

Doing complicated assemblies as OV/VF always is a bit of a risk.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

When you write at first that it can be done, Carsten, what is the way?
I mean, if you have the original/staying-the-same 6 parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
and the A, B, C, D, E that change with a, b, c, d, e?
Can you split by video content the 1, A, 2, B, 3, C, 4, D, 5, E, 6 for the OV and then swap to 1, a, 2, b, 3, c, 4, d, 5, e, 6 and create a VF?
Or is there another way?

I am asking because I am very interested and I wouldn't mind risking trials and errors.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well, what I usually do for simple edits/inserts is to replicate the content, then trim both, e.g. the first appearance from the end, the second appearance from the beginning, then put in between what I want to insert (or nothing). For a second insert, you need to replicate content two times, for a third insert three times, etc. If you prepare the inserts with their exact timecode numbers, that can be done quickly and you can arrange and review the edit/inserts in list view, timeline view, and preview.

In my screenshot, I added a german version of a trailer as DCP, replicated it once. Then put the english version between the two as another DCP. I then trimmed the first german version from the end, the second german version from the start, and the english version in between from both start and end. I then checked the VF box for both video and audio for the outer two pieces of content. Then created the VF. The VF DCP only contains the trimmed part of the english trailer, while the outer parts are referenced from the OV (german). It plays as expected in the player, but I haven't tried it on our DCI system.
When I check assetmaps, packing lists, CPLs, everything seems to be correct. The VF CPL references UUIDs/assets from the OV, and uses different entry points (my trimmings) than in the OV for them.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-03 um 02.18.47.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-03 um 02.18.47.png (223.31 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

I do this kind of splicing by replicating and trimming occasionally in order to get rid of unwanted parts of trailers, or to add a hint. However, I never did this before while at the same time referencing an OV by a VF. I always create standalone OVs, as these DCPs are short and I don't want to be bothered by having to deal with two packages for trailers. But it seems to work. This kind of reel manipulation and VF creation, however, needs stable versions, in the past I sometimes experienced crashes with certain versions when the timeline composition get's too complicated.

The example I did with a late 2.14.x version. It doesn't make sense footage wise, but technically, it seems to work. Well, at least with ONE insert so far.

It is of cause essential that every piece of footage in such a VF composition, video and audio, share the same properties as the OV/VF DCP settings (container, resolution, frame rate, audio channel count).