Audio doesn't work in finished file...

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
filmmaker23

Audio doesn't work in finished file...

Post by filmmaker23 »

Please help me. I have a film premier in a day and when I went to test my dcp today the video played just fine in the theater but there was no audio. I am new to this but followed a youtube tutorial. I am using a high bitrate mp4 file to start. I can hear the audio when I play it back in dcp-o-matic, but the actual file doesn't seem to have any audio. I really don't know what to do.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Audio doesn't work in finished file...

Post by carl »

Hi, please can you find the metadata.xml and log files from inside your project's folder and either upload here or email to carl@dcpomatic.com
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

DCP-o-matic downloads include a DCP player - download the player and check wether audio is audible in the player.
Last edited by Carsten on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filmmaker23

Post by filmmaker23 »

Carsten wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 am DCP-o-matic download include a DCP player - download the player and check wether audio is audible in the player.
That is very strange. The audio does play in the DCP o matic player. However, it didn't at the theater or the other DCP player that I have... how can I ensure it plays in the theater?
Last edited by filmmaker23 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It's hard to be sure but one guess is to try setting the audio channels in the "DCP" tab to 6 (5.1) instead of 2, then re-make the DCP. I think in the past we've found theaters that will not play stereo DCPs correctly.

DCP-o-matic will fill the extra audio channels with silence, so it shouldn't make any difference to the presentation.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Please download Audacity with the FFMPEG Plugin. You can then load the (smaller) audio MXF into Audacity and post a screenshot of the audio channels. Although I guess Carl has seen from the metadata file that your audio is set to stereo. I never heard about issues with stereo DCPs, but, who knows. Some cinemas may use strange speaker setups.

What is the 'other DCP player' that you have?