VF Compatibility question

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
worldofcrap

VF Compatibility question

Post by worldofcrap »

Hi all,

I'm making a VF of a feature DCP for the first time. The client has asked for two promos to be added to the beginning of a feature I already made a DCP for, so I figured it'd be best to make a VF and just tack those onto it.

The promos are in stereo, but the feature is 5.1. Would this cause any compatibility problems?

Also, when I export the VF and try to open it with DCP-o-Matic Player, it plays back as black video. Does the DCP-o-Matic player not support VF's, or did something go wrong?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

-Justin
barber

Re: VF Compatibility question

Post by barber »

Hi,

That won't be a problem because the VF DCP will have the same audio layout (6 channels, the last 4 filled with silence) as the OV. Anyway, DCP-o-matic should not let you select something else than "5.1 / 6 channels" when you make the VF.
In the Player, once you have opened the VF, click File > Add OV then select the DCP of the feature.

Best,
Dan
worldofcrap

Post by worldofcrap »

Heyyyy, it works! Thanks a ton for the advice, really appreciate it!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Creating a VF usually only makes sense to save space for multiple versions, or if the OV is already in circulation and you want to supply a small file later (e.g. a subtitle VF through email). I general, if you can still control the OV, I would prefer to create new OV. Just adding some promos at the beginning goes very fast if a generic version already has been created - DCP-o-matic will only compress the promos, and add them to the video and audio already transformed for the master version.

Of course, VFs are okay and used widely, but if ever possible, I would prefer a single distributable.

- Carsten