Textless elements as supplemental DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Margus Voll

Textless elements as supplemental DCP

Post by Margus Voll »

Hi.

Any pointers how to make up suplemental dcp for textless elements for international delivery?

I have the option to render textless bits as tif as well but they gave us textless dcp option as well i'm just not sure
how to adress this in practical usage. Film start without head titles and end roll would be my goal here without putting the main OV image part in it.

I usually make my base dcp in Resolve.

Margus
Carsten

Re: Textless elements as supplemental DCP

Post by Carsten »

Not sure that I understand what you are after.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Textless elements are not something you have in a DCP.
What you are referring to is to replace part of frames from the OV so the VF use the same jpeg2000 frames from the OV except the one that have the graphics, you might want to replace that by another language graphic.

Replace just some frames from the OV are possible in some of the commercial DCP mastering softwares but last time I knew it was not possible with DoM.

Textless elements are never part of the DCP.
Margus Voll

Post by Margus Voll »

Thanks.

This is waht i was asked in dcp specs thats why i asked.
Thinking of it like Netflix IMF where you make additional "frames" and play on top of OV i imagine.

I better supply them with just clean franmes for that so they can manage it on their end.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Margus Voll wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:11 am This is waht i was asked in dcp specs thats why i asked.
Thinking of it like Netflix IMF where you make additional "frames" and play on top of OV i imagine.
Yes, IMF and DCP works exactly the same regarding this.
You replace the entire frames, not just the graphics on a textless elements.
And just to clarify, IMF is not something that was invented by Netflix. This is a standard from The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) just like the SMPTE DCP.