MID / SIDE DECODER ?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Cfoxv1980

MID / SIDE DECODER ?

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

So I made a 5.1 dcp off of a pro res 422 hq file.

The PR file 5.1 format was L,R,C,LFE,Ls,Rs

I went to the theater today 11/6 to test dcp for this Wednesday 11/9 screening. And when I sat in the back middle of the theater I noticed nothing but Sfxs coming out of the theater Ls speakers but the Rs speakers were pumping the dialog /Sfxs & music. As if the theater was flipped:(

I went back and noticed that the MID /SIDE Decoder was selected on my export. I just updated to the latest version when now I can deselect it to NONE.

Would this have affected the dcp to play as so above ?

I originally thought it maybe the 5.1 layout was off and different to - L,C,R,Ls,Rs,LFE but now that I noticed MIDSIDE was selected I’m curious if that could have thrown it out of wack

Please lmk what you think

Thank you in advance

Christopher
StephW999

Re: MID / SIDE DECODER ?

Post by StephW999 »

it was a bug with some versions. Fixed since 2.16.32
https://dcpomatic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1996
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yup - the mid/side decoder certainly messed with your 5.1 mix. Now, if everything is still in place for this project - folders, etc., you can just recreate the DCP, make sure Mid/Side is not active. DCP-o-matic will not touch the video again and just rewrap the audio properly, which shouldn't take long.
Cfoxv1980

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

Hey Carsten,

Thxs, that’s kinda what I figured and hope you’d say. I was so depressed hearing it. Oh I see I could have just re rendered it and it would have only re exported the audio ? That’s good to know for future. I actually deleted the folder after I updated the DOC software and re exporting the same film but from a whole new project folder now. I prey to god it’s fixed, you live & you learn
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Yeah, it was just a very shortlived stupid GUI thingy. Too bad it caught you.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Feel free to post the audio MXF from the new DCP and we can check it out, if that helps.

I'm sorry you got hit by this bug. Sadly there are no automated tests for the GUI parts, since a) it's quite hard and b) it's quite rare that a GUI bug causes something as nasty as this.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Do you know what caused it to creep in?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Wondering wether beyond the selectable update notifications there should be a 'notifiy by all means!' phone-home feature for critical issues. Not that we had that many, but, just in case, it wouldn't be bad if these ill-fated versions would still look up wether there is a critical issue within them and urge to update. Unless there'd be a bug in that phone-home function, of course ;-)
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Do you know what caused it to creep in?
I fixed a bug with the appearance of drop-down lists on KDE versions of Linux, which meant I had to change every use of a drop-down list, and missed this one.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Wondering wether beyond the selectable update notifications there should be a 'notifiy by all means!' phone-home feature for critical issues. Not that we had that many, but, just in case, it wouldn't be bad if these ill-fated versions would still look up wether there is a critical issue within them and urge to update. Unless there'd be a bug in that phone-home function, of course
You mean another checkbox to switch on for critical updates?