MID / SIDE DECODER ?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Carsten

Re: MID / SIDE DECODER ?

Post by Carsten »

No - no checkbox. A forced notification without a checkbox. Similar to the few 'first-start' splash screens we had e.g. when the signing certs might have been invalid, or as we have it currently in the 2.16.32 release notes splash screen.
Just that, in this case, ANY version would first have to phone home with it's version number, and receive a 'there's a critical issue' with this version notification. If we encounter such a (rare) condition, you would have to set a flag on your (update) server as quickly as possible so the alert condition is triggered and people are notified about a potential critical issue with the DCPs they create. I'd never use it for 'general' issues, just for those that could result in 'damaged' DCPs.
Cfoxv1980

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

Hey Carl & Carsten,

I’ll definitely post a link to the new audio once it’s exported

I also do have the original as well on the dcp drive that I’ll transfer over and upload as well.

Preying to gif all is well. Private event for investors, cast crew :)
Cfoxv1980

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

Here is the OG audio from the dcp that played incorrectly in the theater

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oZdAX0 ... p=drivesdk

I threw it into resolve and looks like yup the Rs channel is crazy loud. I’m gonna QC the new one before going back to QC in the theater
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

No - no checkbox. A forced notification without a checkbox. Similar to the few 'first-start' splash screens we had e.g. when the signing certs might have been invalid, or as we have it currently in the 2.16.32 release notes splash screen
It might be worth doing. The thing that puts me off is that this introduces an opt-out contact between the user's computer and my server, and so far I have quite enjoyed not doing any of that kind of thing! :P
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I threw it into resolve and looks like yup the Rs channel is crazy loud. I’m gonna QC the new one before going back to QC in the theater
Sounds good, and do post the audio here because (though I haven't checked) I'm not immediately sure how just enabling the M/S decoder could cause Rs to get very loud. I could easily be wrong though.
Cfoxv1980

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

If I wanted to wrap just the audio how do I do so ? I realized that the source file layout was wrong :( re exporting now. Rookie mistake
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Don't know if I find the time to listen through the whole piece. Also, without knowing the intention, it is sometimes hard to judge what is intentional and what not. What's obvious right from the start is that seemingly all of the dialog is also coming from right surround at similar level as on center (and softer from left surround). Having dialog in both center and surrounds is never a good idea.

At first sight, the audio waveform does not look too broken, but in this case, that is misleading.Well, it's obvious that right surround is too loud and thus out of balance to left surround. Carl - do we know for sure what the Mid/Side decoder does when the source is full 5.1? Does it just ignore everything beyond L and R?

Whatever, now that I listened through the M/S version, I'd love to check the good native 5.1 version as well (love the techno sound beginning at 10:35).

Screenshot 2022-11-07 22.39.46.png
Screenshot 2022-11-07 22.39.46.png (171.47 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Haha, only Cfoxv1980 knows what it's like to listen through that audio without image in a completely dark auditorium ;-)
I just regained my love for audio plays.
Cfoxv1980

Post by Cfoxv1980 »

Yuppp. When making the master pro res I must have put R in Rs like a dummy. I realized this after I went back to the root File. So nothing dcpo did wrong. User error while on my sleep weeks ago rendering out various formats

Thanks for taking the time to analyze it
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

carl wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:12 pm
It might be worth doing. The thing that puts me off is that this introduces an opt-out contact between the user's computer and my server, and so far I have quite enjoyed not doing any of that kind of thing! :P
I understand that completely. It's pandoras box. But I do think it's worth it. Although, admittedly, if we had had it before, I can only remember one or two cases in which such a feature would have been useful or helpful.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

At first sight, the audio waveform does not look too broken, but in this case, that is misleading.Well, it's obvious that right surround is too loud and thus out of balance to left surround. Carl - do we know for sure what the Mid/Side decoder does when the source is full 5.1? Does it just ignore everything beyond L and R?
It should just take L and R and make 3 channels. I'm surprised it's even possible to get any 5.1 output from it. I suspect (but haven't had time to check) that this GUI bug might only have affected the GUI i.e. it says it's using the M/S decoder but really it isn't.