DCP LOOP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Cooller89

DCP LOOP

Post by Cooller89 »

Hello everyone There is a task - to launch a loop on the playback server, are there any settings in DCP-o-Matic with which you can set the loop mode for the video?
carl
Site Admin

Re: DCP LOOP

Post by carl »

Hello, I'm not aware of any mechanism by which a DCP can tell the playback server it should be looped.
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

Colleagues say that Disney sent such DCP packages
Are they lying? There are no such functions?
StephW999

Post by StephW999 »

The possible way is that the server is in loop mode, or the the cpl of the dcp repeats the sames assets many times
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

StephW999 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:46 am The possible way is that the server is in loop mode, or the the cpl of the dcp repeats the sames assets many times
the cpl of the dcp repeats the same assets many times ?
how to do this?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Even if the CPL repeats the same asset (video and audio) multiple times, that CPL still has a defined playout length, it will not loop forever.

Some servers have options to activate a loop mode for show playlists, but that is a manual process in the playout window, a checkbox the projectionist has to activate before playout starts.

This will not necessarily create seamless transitions at the wraparound, but if the SPL e.g. contains the same CPL 50 times, the small glitch will only be visible every 50th occurrence.

There is no functionality in the DCP format to set up infinite loops. It is only possible to repeat the same asset a high number of times, thus having a very small DCP compared to it's length. However currently that is not possible with DCP-o-matic. Ot it is, at least using the OV/VF method.
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

Carsten wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:39 am Even if the CPL repeats the same asset (video and audio) multiple times, that CPL still has a defined playout length, it will not loop forever.

Some servers have options to activate a loop mode for show playlists, but that is a manual process in the playout window, a checkbox the projectionist has to activate before playout starts.

This will not necessarily create seamless transitions at the wraparound, but if the SPL e.g. contains the same CPL 50 times, the small glitch will only be visible every 50th occurrence.

There is no functionality in the DCP format to set up infinite loops. It is only possible to repeat the same asset a high number of times, thus having a very small DCP compared to it's length. However currently that is not possible with DCP-o-matic. Ot it is, at least using the OV/VF method.
and what other ways are there? or can't it be done with dcp-o-matic at all?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi!
We had a similar situation. We were given a short DCP (15 sec) and we had to play it for about 20 or even 30 minutes. So I created a VF repeating the original DCP 20 times, for example. That gave us 5m DCP. And then I created SPL playing that VF DCP several times. And since we used Doremi server for this, the SPL played without a glitch - that's the feature of Doremi servers that they play all CPLs without a pause between them. There will be a pause on other servers, i.e. Dolby or Christie IMB.
Cooller89

Post by Cooller89 »

scorpio81 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:25 pm Hi!
We had a similar situation. We were given a short DCP (15 sec) and we had to play it for about 20 or even 30 minutes. So I created a VF repeating the original DCP 20 times, for example. That gave us 5m DCP. And then I created SPL playing that VF DCP several times. And since we used Doremi server for this, the SPL played without a glitch - that's the feature of Doremi servers that they play all CPLs without a pause between them. There will be a pause on other servers, i.e. Dolby or Christie IMB.
tell me more about how to do this?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

You just create an OV with your content, which plays it a single time. You create a VF, import that OV DCP, choose to reuse it for video/audio, and repeat it as often as you want to have it repeated. The new VF then contains nothing than the 'play x times' CPL, and references the content from the OV.
You have to ingest BOTH DCPs, before you can play that VF, and you have to notify the projectionist which one to play. You may use completely different names for both DCPs/CPLs, so, the OV could be 'DONOTPLAYTHISUSETHEVF', and the VF 'PLAYME'.

You could eben JUST tick 'Use this DCP's video...' and add a completely different contiguous audio track to it. At least per DCP definition. DCP-o-matic however seems to have a problem rendering this properly (at least it 2.16.32).

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-07 um 17.03.03.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-07 um 17.03.03.png (96.62 KiB) Viewed 957 times

You could even JUST tick 'Use this DCP's video...' and add a completely different contiguous audio track to it. At least per DCP definition. DCP-o-matic however seems to have a problem rendering this properly (at least it 2.16.32). The non referenced added audio does not play properly, but is just crackling.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-07 um 17.16.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-07 um 17.16.43.png (146.44 KiB) Viewed 954 times