Adding Festival logo to a DCP with multiple VFs

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Adridulte

Adding Festival logo to a DCP with multiple VFs

Post by Adridulte »

So, a feature that I color graded and made a DCP for is selected for a festival, and they want the festival logo in the credits. The DCP in question was made using multiple multiple reals for the OV (SMPTE) and I then maid 3 VFs (the film has subtitles in 3 languages).
I previously had to redo the DCP because of a change in the credits and it was really cumbersome, because the movie lasts more than 2hrs and once the new DCP made the subtitles didn't work anymore (because the OV name changed I guessed) so I also had to reexport them pointing to the new DCP.

What would be the easiest way to tackle this ?

- Can I still make a new DCP by adding the logo at the end and keep the subtitles compatible?
- Or could I just make another DCP only including the logo? (is this common practice)

Thanks!
gunnar

Re: Adding Festival logo to a DCP with multiple VFs

Post by gunnar »

Subtitles in general should not get out of sync if new assets are added to the DCP as a new reel.

Is this festival supposed to be with this logo on the DCP everywhere it will be screened? Also not on this festival?
If this logo is only supposed to be there on this particular festival then just tell the festival to add the logo in their playlists. This doesn’t then have to be part of your DCP.

But subtitles and multi reel DCP are very unique for each reel so in general the sync should not start being a problem when you add new reel. (I don’t know how DCPoMatic handle this)
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm.This difficult to do (and unusual for a festival, as they usually shouldn't demand changes to masters or distributables)

The only way I see is to create the subtitled VFs again, and not just add the subtitles, but the new credits with the festival logo. You can not use the existing subtitled VFs with a new/changed OV. You could as well create a new master OV with the festival logo, and then create the subtitled VFs again.
Adridulte

Post by Adridulte »

So I got a little more infos. The festival might be able to put their logo in the playlist, but it doesn't change the fact that for future screenings we have to put their logo on the DCP (world first), and maybe later some other festival logos until the it reaches the "normal" theaters.
The logo has to be in the beginning, and since there are distributors joining the adventure we might have them added to the credits also (at the end).

Would it be weird to have 3 DCPs? One for the festival logos, one for the film and one for the additional credits.
I'm also thinking about adding the logos and new credits as subtitles so that I don't have to redo the OV. I've already did some custom pngs for the VFs for layout reasons.

Thanks for your answers! I'm not really concerned about synch etc. More about redoing the whole OV and VFS over and over again.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I think the best is to create a new OV from scratch, including the logos. Then create new subtitled VFs again. Once you have a working OV, it is not so complicated to generate the VFs again. Just create them right after each other so you can remain in the workflow.